Dick,
I may be interested in your TS-806's. Can you tell me more about them? If
you like, let's take it to email.
Doug
(douga(a)email.com)
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Erlacher <edick(a)idcomm.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
>Perhaps I can help . . . I have a couple of TS806's sans HDD. Any
>interest?
>
>regards,
>
>Dick
>
>----------
>> From: Doug Auerbach <douga(a)email.com>
>> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
><classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>> Subject: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
>> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:01 PM
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm looking for a TeleVideo CP/M machine, particularly the TS-803 or
>> TS-1603
I do believe the 803 and 802 had the same package, but different contents.
I haven't seen one in over 15 years, though.
Dick
----------
> From: Doug Auerbach <douga(a)email.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 10:00 PM
>
> >>but I have the idea of taking one of them and
> >>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
> >
> > That's sacraledge!
>
> I know, you're right. That's why I want two. ;-)
>
> I'll let you know if I come up with an 802H. Do you know if it looks the
> same as the 803? I'm really into the nostalgia value of having a machine
> that has that distinctive 803/1603 styling.
>
> Doug
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 8:54 PM
> Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
>
>
> >Hi Doug,
> >
> > I'm looking for one also. I'd LIKE to find an 802H. I just got a
complete
> >set of docs including the service manual.
> >
> >>may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of
them
> and
> >>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
> >
> > That's sacraledge!
> >
> > Joe
> >
> >At 08:01 PM 2/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >>Greetings,
> >>
> >>I'm looking for a TeleVideo CP/M machine, particularly the TS-803 or
> >>TS-1603. If you have one of these computers, or one similar to this
one
> >>(not including the portable), I'd be interesting in buying it. Or, if
you
> >>have suggestions on where else I might look for one, I'd really
appreciate
> >>it. These were great machines, but they're hard to find now!
> >>
> >>Actually, I may be interested in two of these, if they're available.
This
> >>may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of
them
> and
> >>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
> >>combination to run Linux on it. The TeleVideo 803/1603 has a unique
case,
> >>which would make for a great looking computer even today. The trick
would
> >>be maitaining compatibility with the keyboard cable and monitor; not to
> >>mention fitting the components inside reliably. But what a coup it
would
> >>be!
> >>
> >>Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area, fwiw.
> >>
> >>
> >>Doug Auerbach
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
1. Sorry about that last posting, folks. I thought it was a personal email.
I'm (obviously) new to this list.
2. Does anyone have a link to a site with images of the various TeleVideo
models? I've seen one image on the net, at the following address, but I've
yet to find anything else: http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw/jcgm-vcf.html
Doug
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Auerbach <douga(a)email.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
>>>but I have the idea of taking one of them and
>>>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
>>
>> That's sacraledge!
>
>I know, you're right. That's why I want two. ;-)
>
>I'll let you know if I come up with an 802H. Do you know if it looks the
>same as the 803? I'm really into the nostalgia value of having a machine
>that has that distinctive 803/1603 styling.
>
>Doug
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
>To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
><classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 8:54 PM
>Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
>
>
>>Hi Doug,
>>
>> I'm looking for one also. I'd LIKE to find an 802H. I just got a
complete
>>set of docs including the service manual.
>>
>>>may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of them
>and
>>>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
>>
>> That's sacraledge!
>>
>> Joe
>>
>>At 08:01 PM 2/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a TeleVideo CP/M machine, particularly the TS-803 or
>>>TS-1603. If you have one of these computers, or one similar to this one
>>>(not including the portable), I'd be interesting in buying it. Or, if
you
>>>have suggestions on where else I might look for one, I'd really
appreciate
>>>it. These were great machines, but they're hard to find now!
>>>
>>>Actually, I may be interested in two of these, if they're available.
This
>>>may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of them
>and
>>>replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
>>>combination to run Linux on it. The TeleVideo 803/1603 has a unique
case,
>>>which would make for a great looking computer even today. The trick
would
>>>be maitaining compatibility with the keyboard cable and monitor; not to
>>>mention fitting the components inside reliably. But what a coup it would
>>>be!
>>>
>>>Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area, fwiw.
>>>
>>>
>>>Doug Auerbach
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
So far, I've only found the one set of Dazzler doc's and software, and the
software is on paper tape.
I believe there's still one dazzler set floating around, though.
I still have a few hundred 8" diskettes, of which maybe ten or twenty will
be hard sectored, with holes on the outside of one box and on the inside of
the other. I may never find these, however, as they were stored in a part
of the basement now buried with "other" stuff. ONly time will tell.
If you need the PICEON 64K DRAM board then it's yours, pending adequate
shipping arrangements.
regards,
Dick
----------
> From: Joe <rigdonj(a)intellistar.net>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: update to "here's the list..."
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 5:48 PM
>
> At 07:48 PM 2/20/99 -0700, you wrote:
>
>
> >sadly, had to be tossed with the other 50K or so 8" diskettes I have
> >ditched over the past year.
>
> Dick,
>
> If you come across ANY hard sectored floppy disks I could use them.. I
> have several systems that used the hard sectored ones but they're hard to
> come by. If you don't want to take time to sort them, I'll take the whole
> lot and sort them and pass the soft sectored ones on to someone else.
>
>
> >
> >PICEON 64K DRAM board
>
> OH! I can use this! I have one on my Alpha Micro and I could use
another.
>
> >>
> >> Processor Technology "CUTS" cassette interface? board
>
> I won't mind having this.
> >>
> >> BIOTECH ELECTRONICS BCT800 graphics board - uses AMI 68047 chip and 12
> >2114's to produce 256x192 graphics and text.
>
> I'd like to have this.
> >>
> >> Cromemco Dazzler video graphics board pair - There are two, but only
one
> >set of doc's and software including paper tape.
> >>
>
> I hope you have my name on one of these. I'll make copies of the
manual
> and disks to go with the other board.
>
>
I do have a boot disk for the 806. I'm not sure where it is at the moment,
but it's within 10-12 feet of here for sure. Since I haven't used a CP/M
box of any sort for a long time, I'd be afraid to guess how I'll replicate
it. The 806's I have are 20's but that's a combination of a 20MB hard
drive and about half a dozen bytes in the bios. I used to switch between a
ten and a 20 by patching these bytes.
Email me in a couple of days and I'll try to have a firm answer for you.
----------
> From: Merle K. Peirce <at258(a)osfn.org>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:20 PM
>
>
> We have a TS806-20 that keeps requesting s boot disk (revision F?).
> Anyone have anything like that out there, or one for an Altos 8600-12?
>
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Richard Erlacher wrote:
>
> > Perhaps I can help . . . I have a couple of TS806's sans HDD. Any
> > interest?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Dick
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Doug Auerbach <douga(a)email.com>
> > > To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> > <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> > > Subject: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
> > > Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:01 PM
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a TeleVideo CP/M machine, particularly the TS-803 or
> > > TS-1603. If you have one of these computers, or one similar to this
one
> > > (not including the portable), I'd be interesting in buying it. Or,
if
> > you
> > > have suggestions on where else I might look for one, I'd really
> > appreciate
> > > it. These were great machines, but they're hard to find now!
> > >
> > > Actually, I may be interested in two of these, if they're available.
> > This
> > > may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of
them
> > and
> > > replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
> > > combination to run Linux on it. The TeleVideo 803/1603 has a unique
> > case,
> > > which would make for a great looking computer even today. The trick
> > would
> > > be maitaining compatibility with the keyboard cable and monitor; not
to
> > > mention fitting the components inside reliably. But what a coup it
would
> > > be!
> > >
> > > Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area, fwiw.
> > >
> > >
> > > Doug Auerbach
> > >
> >
>
> M. K. Peirce
> Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
> 215 Shady Lea Road,
> North Kingstown, RI 02852
>
> "Cast est qui nemo rogavit."
>
> - Ovid
Perhaps I can help . . . I have a couple of TS806's sans HDD. Any
interest?
regards,
Dick
----------
> From: Doug Auerbach <douga(a)email.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Wanted: TeleVideo CP/M machine(s)
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 9:01 PM
>
> Greetings,
>
> I'm looking for a TeleVideo CP/M machine, particularly the TS-803 or
> TS-1603. If you have one of these computers, or one similar to this one
> (not including the portable), I'd be interesting in buying it. Or, if
you
> have suggestions on where else I might look for one, I'd really
appreciate
> it. These were great machines, but they're hard to find now!
>
> Actually, I may be interested in two of these, if they're available.
This
> may turn into a crazy project, but I have the idea of taking one of them
and
> replacing the guts with a standard PC motherboard/hd/ram/power supply
> combination to run Linux on it. The TeleVideo 803/1603 has a unique
case,
> which would make for a great looking computer even today. The trick
would
> be maitaining compatibility with the keyboard cable and monitor; not to
> mention fitting the components inside reliably. But what a coup it would
> be!
>
> Thanks. I'm in the Seattle area, fwiw.
>
>
> Doug Auerbach
>
>(In any case, the use of the word velocity is incorrect. Velocity is
>a vector, as I had drilled into me in Physics class.)
Technically, escape velocity is a scalar quantity... except that it cannot
be aimed at the ground. Anything above the ground gets you into orbit, with
enough force.
P Manney
<Has anyone ever upgraded a memory expansion card (000034, plugs into
<slot 0-5 of the CTI bus) from 64Kbit to 256Kbit chips? (256KB to 1MB)
<You can easily do this with the memory card that plugs into the
<mother board--there's even two empty jumpers waiting for stuffing.
No. the other board is also very different.
<Is it possible? If someone thinks they can do it, I'll gladly
<contribute a board for a proof-of-concept test. You keep the board
<as long as you tell me how to do it!
Yes, you will need to alter the PALs and also configure for an extra
multiplex address line. Practical, not likely.
Allison
<I am really glad to find I can use the ST-251 in my DEC
<Pro 380 instead of the Quantum Q540, since the later drive
<is rarer, older, and perhaps (in my experience) not too
<reliable. And has a smaller capacity, of course, and is
<a full-height drive.
The ST251 is well known for it's bad bearings and spindle problems. The
Q540 is known for running forever. The later know as a RD52 is very
common and very hard to kill. I have about 8 of them (all good).
Generally I will not use a st251 again... I spent to much time helping PC
support at DEC with disk failures in VAXmates (st251s aka RD32) where the
older st225 was rock solid.
<Is there a better drive (MFM) with equivalent geometry?
<(820 cyls, 6 hds, 17 sec) or maybe with 6+ heads and 820+
<cylinders (that might work, too?). Half-height would be
<nice, like the 251, because if I ever get another HD
<controller card, I can put two drives in my Pro 380 (only
<one drive per controller card, and supposedly only one
<per Pro chassis, but the 251 probably uses a lot less
<power than the Q540, so two drives should be OK).
the q540 is 8x512 (31mb)... and the 251 is 6x820 (40mb). Also the 540 is
several times faster (voice coil VS Stepper).
Allison
Why not drill a 5/16" hole through the case and spray in WD-40?
>I have a noisy ST 251 hard drive. It sounds like the bearings.
>
>Is it heretical to think I may be able to lubricate the bearings?
>They appear to be easily accessible on the bottom of the drive.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>