Does anyone have any information about a Data Products Portacom terminal?
This is a very old printing terminal (i think it was purchased in 1973)
that weights over 30 pounds and is built into a black carrying case
(sort of like an attache case, er, make that more like a American
Tourister...)
It has a teletype like ribbon, and it prints in a strange manner. the
printhead is behind the page of paper, with 8 rows of 8 characters on
a hexagonal horizontal rod. Its very hard to describe, since the entire
device is full of somewhat bizarre mechanical parts.
I really wish I had a expensive camera that could take closeup shots
of stuff like this.
-Lawrence LeMay
<with my network is to have another machine that talks both DECnet and TCP/I
<Apparently, there is a Linux DECnet, but Zane has been having trouble getti
<it to work. Another possibility is a VAXstation that talks both DECnet an
<TCP/IP.
<
<So, is this possible? Will the hobbyist VMS do it? Or will Ultrix do it?
<What is the smallest *VAX* that will do this? Note that I don't think I
<require any routing between the protocols. I would be happy just to be abl
<to transfer files to/from my TCP/IP network to the *VAX* and to be able to
<independently transfer files to/from my Pro using DECnet.
Yes it's possible. A vs2000 with a RD54 and VMS 5.3->6.1 and CMU-IP. and
you have what you need. VS2000 is about the smallest vaxen made at around
.5cuft.
The alternate is a copy of ultrix with decnet but finding that may be
harder.
Routing is not an issue if they are both end nodes in the same DECNET area.
Generally this is something VAXen do well.
Allison
<It works, too! Tim thoughtfully loaded VMS 6.01 on the rz23 it came with,
<after hooking it up to my apple2GS with spectrum (also a classic computer :
<I got the thing to boot up into VMS. VERY cool. :)
<
<Wishing it had TCP-IP, but heck, if it had *everything* I want on it,
<where would the challenge be? :)
Get the CMU-IP stack off the net. You may have kermit in the basic 6.01
install.
Allison
Does anyone have any information about the modem test set listed in
the subject line?
This unit is dated from 1980, and uses 3 Nixie tubes for displaying
an error count, or blocks analyzed. It can go as high as 9600 baud,
or as low as 75 baud, including popular rates such as 134.5 and 150...
-Lawrence LeMay
Well, thanks to everyone with good suggestions, and especially thanks to Don
for providing the boot disk image, I've been able to get the kaypro 4/84 to
boot! It came up in conversation that there were later versions of teledisk,
and after some heavy web searching I found one on a page for synthesiser users
that works with my computer in a dos window, even. I guess I'll have to
register it now. For reference, it's version 2.16.
So now it's off to Oak for nifty apps, I guess. :)
I do have another question: the image on my kaypro's screen is somewhat
cockeyed. Is there an easy fix for this?
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>I have the clasic...
>
> _introduction to programming_ 1972
I have several copies of that one, along with several copies of
the second classic book (the yellow-covered one, I forget the
title right now). I also have the thin Focal programming book.
Most are not out of boxes right now, but I have a few within reach.
_pdp11 handbook_
This isn't the oldest one, since it mentions both the
11/20 and the 11/10, but it is old - 1970.
_processor handbook_ (pdp11/20,15,r20) 1972
_processor handbook_ (pdp11/45, 1973
signed by Gordon Bell
_peripherals handbook_ 1973-74
_pdp11/60 processor handbook_ 1977-78
EB-06498-76
_pdp11 processor handbook_ (pdp11/04/24/34a/44/7-0) 1981
EB-19402-20/81 (copyright 1981)
EB-19402-20/85 (copyright 1985) (slightly thinner book)
_peripherals handbook_ 1981-82
EB-20443-20
_pdp-11 Architecture Handbook_ 1983-84
EB-23657-18
_pdp-11 MICRO/PDP-11 Handbook_ 1983-84
EB-24944-18
>Actually I have a good selection of the late 70s throuth the 80s PDP-11
>hardware books.
At one point, I got myself on an automatic distribution list for
any new handbooks... it was great.
>One set I have it the two volume white books:
>
> LSI-11 Systems Service Manual (for field sevice)
Yep, I have that also...
Plus, the three binder set:
LSI-11 Systems Service Manual
Volume I - Systems Options
Volume II - Module Options A-K
Volume III - Module Options L-Z
EK-LSIFS-SV
And the seven volume set (currently in my office) on
communications devices...
I have an old DOS/Batch manual (the 8.5" by 11" by 2.5"
thick manual and some old pdp-10 manuals as well (from 1970).
I'm going to have to catalog them...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser(a)oa.ptloma.edu> wrote:
> This made me think of something. How many AMOS (Alpha Micro OS) users are
> there in the audience? The Salvation Army for years used 68K AMOS-based
> servers for local corps networks (with dummy terminals in the offices).
> AMOS
> BASIC, yech!
>
I've rescued an Alpha Micro 1042E. It's S-100, 68K, multiuser, running
AMOS. I don't have any docs and the only software is what's already
installed on its hard drive. In fact, I don't see any obvious way to get
software into or out of it: there's no floppy drive. But there is a board
to backup files to a vcr (yup, a video cassette recorder). Interesting.
--
Arlen Michaels amichael(a)nortelnetworks.com
>There is an interesting item up for sale on e-bay right now, for all you
>altair collectors. For the life of me, it looks like someone made a
>portable altair 8800.
Just have to comment that:
The keyboard looks exactly like one Shadio Rack sold as a kit
(&these fingers did a *lot* of typing on ) - they must have
been readily available to be used in the TVT also. That was
the parallel kbrd I'd like to find a replacement for. Seems
I recall, was is Don Lancaster had a whole 'TV Typewriter
Cookbook'? FInd one of those cheap and make your own, complete
with 'page 1/2' toggle switch, pushbutton scrolling, hehe.
Chuck
cswiger(a)widomaker.com
Slashdot today reported on an apparently new site, www.textfiles.com. It
is a huge archive of various plain-text files, some classic-computer
related, and certainly PC Clone related.
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
following posted in alt.folklore.computers.
I'm sure some of the list members will be interested.....
It's times like this I almost wish I lived in America.....
-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Rankin <srao(a)usit.net>
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11,comp.sys.dec,comp.os.vms,alt.folklore.computers
Date: Monday, 22 February 1999 17:49
Subject: Anyone interested in tons of various PDP-11/780 and 785 boards
> I know of a metal scrapper in VA that has tons of PDP(/VAX)-11/780
>and 11/785 in his yard. With them are lots of other boxes(CDC, IBM,
>Intergraph, etc.).
>
> The PDP-11/78x's are packed with boards, all the way across. A
>fellow that was with me, when I checked them out, used to work for
>Intergraph(when they used PDP-11 and VAX) said that they all had 32MB of
>RAM.
>
> My question here lies with the acquisition of them. Would anyone be
>willing to pay some cash for them? The fellow is having a hard
>year(making much less than normal), and could use some help. The way I
>figure it, someone might need some of the boards. Just a shot in the
>dark, really.
>
> There are also some "floating point accelerators". They are made by
>Floating Point Systems.
>
> Tons of Power Supplies for the PDP's(H7-somethingorothers). Loads
>of hard drives and stuff.
>
> Anyhow, if anyone can help on this one, do tell me.
>
>
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Kent Rankin
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au