However, that faux-pax (sp?) leads me into letting people know that
I have been working on compiling a list of all the DEC handbooks
(pdp-8, pdp-11, vaxen, whatever) that I have, along with as much
information about each that I can glean...
If you check my home_systems page, there will be a link off of it to
the list...
So far, the earliest handbook I've found in my collection is a
1967 small computer handbook.
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
Hi -- I just sent you my latest list. While compiling it, I noticed
that it appears as though some books were published by various groups.
Like the IBG (Installed base group), LDP (Laboratory data products
group), the Logic Products Group, and educational services -- to name
a few.
I may have to go back through my collection so far and see if I can
determine this information for each of the books...
Megan
Did Hans Franke die or something? I haven't heard even a peep from that
loquacious Bavarian in a while.
Maybe John Zabolitzky has heard from him in the past few weeks?
Christian, do you have his telephone number by any chance?
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
Hi people!
Somebody brought my web page to the attention of ex-Commodore engineer
George Robbins (as seen in the "Deathbed Vigil" video ;) ), and he had
something interesting to say about the Hyperion:
GR> Commodore actually bought rights to the Hyperion design and there were
GR> a couple floating around West Chester. The design served as the basis
GR> for the first 8088 based PC-clones that Commodore manufactured, though
GR> they ended up in normal desktop cases. The next generation was based
GR> much more directly on the IBM PC's (probably for 100% compatibility)
GR> then we started making our own customer chips/asic to get the cost down
GR> before switching to industry standard "chipsets" for 286-486 designs.
GR> In the end it was cheaper to just buy and resell clones from HK.
GR>
GR> On of my tasks at Commodore before the Amiga stuff took over was to
GR> make a comparison of the Hyperion design and our current PC design to
GR> "prove" that we weren't using any of the Hyperion proprietary design
GR> features and there was no reason we should continue paying them
GR> royalties on every PC we sold. 8-)
As for the Commodore Hyperion in Jim Brain's Canonical List of Commodore
Computer Equipment, Mr. Robbins was only able to say that maybe Commodore
Canada sold Hyperions with the Commodore label as part of the deal. He
has no direct knowledge of Commodore selling Hyperions in the form that
Dynalogic made them.
Does anyone on this list have a Commodore-branded Hyperion?
--
Doug Spence
ds_spenc(a)alcor.concordia.ca
http://alcor.concordia.ca/~ds_spenc/
-----Original Message-----
From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh(a)aracnet.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 24 February 1999 17:23
Subject: Re: Vax! (and epilogue on teledisk)
>CMUIP doesn't have working NFS,
No it doesn't, technically, I believe there are unofficial patches that
partially fix it, though I'm not sure how well.
>and it's been my experience that the FTP included with it is less than
stellar.
Last version is somewhat better, however the Madgoat FTP offering is
infinitely superior. (And still freeware)
>Personally I'd like to see OpenVMS (VAX/Alpha), NAS-150, Motif, and the
>languages at a minimum made available for hobbiests. Let's face it, they
>need as many people as possible running the stuff.
Seconded. Lack of (amongst other things) a C compiler (Gcc is not fabulous
under VMS imho) is a major headache, and the Decpaq pricing structure is not
likely to encourage private ownership. Access to UCX for hobbyist users
would also be a good thing, but I think the Motif problem is not going to be
that easy, as it involves crosslicensing from elsewhere, which means it
would cost Decpaq money to give away hobbyist licenses. That this would
undoubtably be a PR victory for them may not be sufficient incentive.
That's my understanding of the situation anyway.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Grigoni <msg(a)computerpro.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 24 February 1999 15:18
Subject: Re: Vax! (and epilogue on teledisk)
>Jim Strickland wrote:
>>
>> Whee! it's finally here! I got my vaxstation 3100 from Tim in the mail
today!
>> It's a Vaxstation 3100 model 42 a-bd with a mighty 8 megs of ram.
>>
>> It works, too! Tim thoughtfully loaded VMS 6.01 on the rz23 ...
>
>We've had to keep our clock set back to preserve our VMS and TCP/IP
>and NFS and numerous other packages...
>
>Anyone have a clue as to how we can preserve the software without
>moving to some 'hobby' license of a newer VMS?
They have expiring licenses then?
I must have got lucky, all my VMS boxen have everlasting ones.
The only expiring license I ever saw on any of my systems was one for RDB (I
think).
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au
Sorry for the long, yucky forward, but I thought I'd save folks time negotiating
with these people. I basically feel they're being petulant about how nobody
registered teledisk (which I understand, I guess, but can't understand why
they won't *sell* me a single user copy). Note that this is in reverse
chronological order, with the most recent note first.
My reply to this was "thank you for your time, I will be deleting teledisk from
my system." I can't fault Ms St. Clair for being unfriendly or unhelpful,
just her company for being stupid.
And I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $150 dollars for a 25 user site license
of software that has to run in a DOS window.
-Jim
> From miriam(a)sydex.com Mon Feb 22 11:45:01 1999
> Message-ID: <199902221038530000.00B8538A(a)10.0.0.254>
> X-Mailer: Calypso Version 2.40.40
> Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:38:53 -0800
> From: "Miriam W. St. Clair" <miriam(a)sydex.com>
> To: jim(a)calico.litterbox.com
> Subject: Re: Information Request: general
>
> 22 February 1999
>
> Dear Mr. Strickland,
>
> TeleDisk was removed from shareware precisely because fewer than 1% of
> its (often hobbyist) users were willing to purchase a registered
> copy--but all of them were quite willing to call for support. Version
> 2.12 was the last available shareware release, and it will not run
> properly in an MS-DOS session under Windows 95/98 nor on most Pentium
> systems. Sydex discontinued the distribution of Version 2.12 in early
> 1991 when TeleDisk was dropped from our shareware product line. We do
> not offer any kind of support for this release. Quite frankly, we're
> surprised at the number of people who expect a 1990 hardware-sensitive
> DOS product to run under Windows 95 on Pentium systems.
>
> The 25-user license for TeleDisk Pro is a site license, and it may be
> used only at one specified location.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, CopyQM will handle a number of unusual formats.
> You need to work in MS-DOS command-prompt mode, with DIRECT hardware
> access, and in BLIND mode. We've made numerous copies of various CP/M
> diskettes here using CopyQM in the manner described, so please give it
> a try.
>
> That's the best we can do this time. Again, we regret the
> circumstances that make it impossible for us to offer TeleDisk Pro for
> shareware registration fees.
>
> Regards,
>
> Miriam W. St.Clair
> for Sydex, Inc.
>
> *********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********
>
> On 2/22/99, at 11:07 AM, Jim Strickland wrote:
>
> >> 22 February 1999
> >>
> >> Dear Mr. Strickland,
> >>
> >> What you found is definitely hacked, so all bets are off. 22DISK
> has
> >> the less expensive price since it's still a shareware product, and
> >> since its users have pretty much supported it by registering
> (although
> >> we've seen big negative changes in this practice over the last
> couple
> >> of years). TeleDisk was removed from shareware distribution in
> 1991,
> >> and we've sold it ever since as a commercial product. I'm very
> sorry
> >> that we cannot offer a single-user price now.
> >
> >How unfortunate. Considering the general standardization of disk
> formats in
> >the last couple years - ie macs read PC disks, pcs read mac disks and
> not much
> >else is out there - I would have thought the hobbiest market was one
> you would
> >pursue with this product. A question. If I went ahead and bought the
> 25 user
> >license, would it then be legitimate to share it with 24 of my
> hobbiest friends
> >?
> >
> >
> >
> >> You might try one more thing before you give up the hobby entirely.
> >> Pick up the evaluation copy of CopyQM from our Web site. Use it
> under
> >> straight MS-DOS (no Windows, please for this particular use), and
> see
> >> if it will make copies of your Kaypro diskettes in BLIND mode. This
> >> might work, and CopyQM can still be purchased for a shareware
> >> registration fee.
> >
> >Thanks for this information. I'll give it a try. Unfortunately the
> de-facto
> >standard for this kind of thing seems to be teledisk 2.12, which won't
> run
> >properly on my windows machine.
> >
>
>
> ==================
> Miriam W. St. Clair
> Sydex, Inc.
> P.O. Box 5700
> Eugene, OR 97405
> USA
> Voice: 1 541 683 6033
> FAX: 1 541 683 1622
> Email: miriam(a)sydex.com
> WWW: http:/www.sydex.com
>
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------