I picked up a BIG load of manuals today. A lot of them are manuals for the
software to accompany the Numerix MARS-432 Array Processor that (I *think*)
was used in the VAX 11/760. The books are dated 1984. Numerix is Numerix
Corporation located in Newton, Mass. Is anyone familar with this stuff?
Anyone need the manuals?
Joe
I will be happy to partake in a get-together of classiccmpers
while there. Count me in.
Also: SoCal TRW reminder... this weekend, the 27th Saturday.
Another get-together will be help afterward. See previous posting
for details or e-mail me privately.
Cheers
John
This fits the charter of being a "classic computer" I suppose. I wonder
if he'll fetch more than an Altair?
---
Title of item: 21 year old man forsale!
Seller: mooxe(a)recorder.ca
Starts: 02/23/99 08:46:50 PST
Ends: 03/02/99 08:46:50 PST
Price: Currently $5.50
To bid the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=70453747
Item Description:
Hi!! My name is Andrew and I need a home! I'm 21 years old, 6'0
175 pounds. I have blue puppy dog eyes and unemployed!!! I have a great
personality! Physically fit. My hobbies include staying up all night on
IRC, and reading porno on the web and usenet! If you buy me you get a
loving, cuddly sensitive young man! I come with the standard 10 year
warranty and my own clothes to last me for 1 year! WHAT A DEAL EH? I come
with many more hidden surprises, habits, hobbies and sexual desires! I can
be anything and do anything you want! Buy me now cause supplies are
limited tee-hee!!
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
I might come to regret this.... ;}
I will be in the Seattle, WA area the weekend of the 13th. I will
be inflicting myself on the kind hospitality of Mr. Bruce Lane, and
visiting the Puyallup Swap Meet. I am flying there in a plane and
returning in a 12-foot truck, which I think will only be partially
loaded. So....
If anyone has something truck-able in the Seattle area to be
delivered into the Los Angeles area.. p'raps we can work something
out. The governing parameters are: it fits in the truck, it gets on
the truck Saturday the 13th afternoon or early evening, and it gets
picked up in LA at my house, or can be easily transfered to my
(smaller) pickup truck and delivered to you in the LA region for a
suitable bribe. I am driving straight through Sunday, so no
intermediate stops are planned between There and Here. Also: items of
interest to classiccmpers only, please.
This was inspired by Jay West's idea of forming a network of folks
to 'stagecoach' jun^H^H^H^H equipment accross the country.
Let me know via private e-mail.
Cheers
John
At 01:30 PM 2/24/99 -0800, Sam wrote:
>
>Does anyone have the data sheets for the 1101 RAM and the Intel 8008? I
>need both. In the case of the 8008, an instruction set listing would also
>be cool.
Sam,
I have one. I was at a library trift store and found a neat book,
Microcomputers and Microproceesors: Hardware, Software and Applications by
John Hilburn and Paul Julich, 1976. It has the instructions for the 4004,
4040, 8008, 8080, National IMP, Rockwell PPS_4, RCA COSMAC and a lot of
others. I'll loan you the book if you'll send it back soon.
Joe
>
>Anyone know where 1101 RAM chips are for sale (if at all?)
>
>Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---
>Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 02/15/99]
>
>
<Ethan Dicks <erd(a)infinet.com> wrote:
<> The only place I've seen the term "slushware" used is on the DECmate boxe
<> AFAIK, its use there matches your use here.
<
<Not really. The slushware on a DECmate is in an entirely different addres
<space from user code, and can only be invoked by trapped I/O instructions
<and the like. It is much more like the System Management Mode of the recen
<x86 processors (late-486-era to present).
Cant speak for the kickstart code. Slushware is the softloadable
diagnostic, boot and system service code for DECmateII/III systems.
the code provides terminal and keyboard emulation and some device
emulation. Due to the characteristics of the CMOS PDP-8 (6120) the
device has the nominal 32KW of system space as 8 4k pages and also a
duplicate space that is special in that it's assigned it's own unique
front pannel interrupt. That address space and interrupt BTW is
something a real PDP-8 does not have. Due to the way it's structured
you can sort of use it as system space for things like rom, rom loaders
and special purpose handlers. Also unique to the DMII/III is that IOTs
for 603x and 604x (TTY IO on nominal -8, a few others as well) are trapped
to CP space handlers for emulation of display and lk201 keyboard.
It can be considered on other micros as boot and device code that runs is
special banked memory. It is not however microcode.
Allison
<Does anyone have the data sheets for the 1101 RAM and the Intel 8008? I
<need both. In the case of the 8008, an instruction set listing would also
<be cool.
I have a full data book on the part. Interesting beast in that it was
only 18 pins! That part alone made it loads of fun back in '73 to work
with.
<Anyone know where 1101 RAM chips are for sale (if at all?)
I think I have 8 of them, not for sale.
Allison
<Here's some information. It's a 256*1 bit PMOS static RAM, access time
<850ns or better. It runs off +5V and -9V (as usual for PMOS). The pinout
<is :
That was the fast part. the lowcost part was 1.5us. it was very slow
and in 1972 when I first encounterd it, they were $15 a copy too!
<
<1 A5
<2 A7
<3 A6
<4 Vd (-9V)
<5 Vcc (+5V)
<6 A4
<7 A0
<8 Vdd (-9V)
<9 A2
<10 A1
<11 A3
<12 Data In
<13 Data Out
<14 Data Out/
<15 R/W
<16 CS/
Correct. according to my data sheet.
Allison
My problem stems from the fact that there are WAY too many things for me to
handle at once, Sam. You wanted me to pack the stuff and have it shipped
via an economical method but which required me to package and haul the
stuff some 45 miles to the airport area. I just haven't the resources
(personal) or the time to do all this under my present circumstances.
What's more, I've had to move TONS more stuff from the basement to the
covered storage outside, and it's pissing my neighbors off. Some of them
understand, but many don't. Now, if you can think of a workable way which
doesn't involve a major outlay on my part, in advance of the fact, and
doesn't involve many hours of packing and hauling time, mine, I mean, since
I have to pack and haul from inside the house to outside, I'm listening, so
to speak.
Those ALTOS boxes I bought on your behalf are still in the car, by the way,
but I can't open the trunk because I was rear-ended by an illegal alien
with no insurance . . .
In the meantime, I'm going through the just-now-moved stuff to ensure I
don't expose otherwise sensitive and potentially fragile hardware to
unfavorable conditions. What this amounts to is looking through the stuff
I've had help to haul from the basement in the last day or two, in the
dark, and examine it in the daylight, to ensure it retains some of its
remaining worth, if I can do anything to that end.
Keep in mind that I'm stressed to the MAX right now, because I have a new
30-hour-a-day, 8-day-per-week job for anew client, in addition to all this
other headache. What's more, I'd like to avoid the exchange of dollars for
anything other than expenses because of the accounting headaches that
creates. I had this stuff in two sections of the basement because some of
was known to be of some value and therefore worth preserving. That's of
less concern to me now than it once was, but it is of some importance to me
to avoid discarding the stuff in a way that will result in no benefit to
anyone.
I'm willing to ship, via USPS because I visit my P.O. box several times a
week, those items I can easily ship. I have physical limitations which
render me unable to lift items with much weight or raise my arms much above
the level of my shoulders. I don't have a lot of boxes in which to ship
things, nor do I have the time or the desire to shop for boxes and
packaging materials. I would, of course, consider bagging a board or
documentation, and taking it to Mailboxes, etc, to have them package and
ship it at the expense of the recipient. However, I don't have lots of
cash to invest in speculation on COD shipments. I can do this a little,
but I have a boy at Harvard and one (who didn't want to go to MIT because
his brother was already in Boston) at Georgia Tech. You know that's not
free!
The reason I decided to get into the pile of miscellaneous hardware and
move it out is because I'm in the "proof of concept" stage with my new
client and while packaging doesn't matter at this point, I do have to have
hardware on which to implement the concepts and I no longer go out and buy,
randomly, hardware which suits the task, first because it often doesn't and
secondly because it ultimately winds up in "the pile."
I doubt that you intended to publish this communique' but I'm also
publishing my reply so I won't have to explain to every individual why I
don't have inventory listings of all the stuff in "the pile" or in "the
heap." This stuff is the product of over twenty five years' accumulation
of hardware I bought at market price and which has not found another home .
. . yet. I remember what some of this stuff cost, so I'm reluctant simply
to toss it where it will produce no further value. Those old Apple-]['s
still do, faithfully, the job they could do back in the '70's, though no
better, and the CP/M boxes will still turn out the payroll, though not in
color and without the fancy noises. I try to pass this stuff on to people
who will get some benefit since it's worthless lying around unused.
Clearly, you're in the business of distributing such items as we discussed
before. I have no problem with that. I just can't afford to expend my
limited resources making the business of getting these items moved to your
venue convenient for you. Things were different two to three weeks ago,
when I didn't have the trunk of my car sealed by the damage, and when I
didn't have the problem of making room for additional residents in my
house.
As I've said before, I don't mind giving stuff away to someone who will use
it. If I "get" something for it, I prefer it not take the form of cash,
because of the tax-related bookkeeping hassles.
As I pick my way through "the pile" looking for resources I can use for my
present task, I'll make a list of what I see. In some cases, I'll know I
have other parts, or documents, or whatever, which might "go with" these
and probably won't have time to find them. I will however offer a partial
list as time allows and as I go back inside to "take a load off."
Does this make any sense to anyone?
Dick
----------
> From: Sam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: attention MITS fiends . . .
> Date: Saturday, February 20, 1999 10:30 AM
>
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Richard Erlacher wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to make room for a child and her progeny in my basement,
hence
> > have moved some items into the carport . . .
> >
> > Since todays weather is good, I'm out sifting through the stuff looking
for
> > items of interest, and find I have a MITS modem board.
> >
> > Would this be of interest to anyone?
>
> Richard, what happened?
>
> You were going to consolidate all the stuff in the carport and then
> determine a total shipping weight so I could figure out how much I owe
you
> for it.
>
> Now you are offering up bits & pieces to the list. I thought we'd
already
> had a deal on everything.
>
> I am very confused as to why you are doing this.
>
> Sellam Alternate e-mail:
dastar(a)siconic.com
>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
> Always hasslin' the man.
>
> Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
> See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
> [Last web site update: 02/15/99]
Does anyone have the data sheets for the 1101 RAM and the Intel 8008? I
need both. In the case of the 8008, an instruction set listing would also
be cool.
Anyone know where 1101 RAM chips are for sale (if at all?)
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]