Fellow in New York's got a bunch of stuff available. Contact him directly
if interested.
-=-=- <snip> -=-=-
From: jdvicto(a)mail.med.cornell.edu
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11,alt.sys.pdp-11
Subject: NYC: pdp-11/73's, related eqpt. available
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:27:43 GMT
Organization: Deja News - The Leader in Internet Discussion
Lines: 13
Message-ID: <7b54b6$70k$1(a)nnrp1.dejanews.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 140.251.4.88
X-Article-Creation-Date: Fri Feb 26 03:27:43 1999 GMT
X-Http-User-Agent: Mozilla/2.01 (Win16; I)
X-Http-Proxy: 1.0 x14.dejanews.com:80 (Squid/1.1.22) for client 140.251.4.88
Path:
news1.jps.net!news.pbi.net!151.142.223.51!WCG!news.idt.net!newsfeed.cwix.com
!204.238.120.130!news-feeds.jump.net!nntp2.dejanews.com!nnrp1.dejanews.com!n
ot-for-mail
Xref: news1.jps.net vmsnet.pdp-11:1117
New York City (Manhattan):
Three 11/73 systems, also many Qbus boards (including
two /73 boards, multiple DEC and non-DEC boards),
magtapes, LN03's, etc. looking for a nice new home.
For details, see [replace the "dash" with a dash,
and replace the "tilde" with a tilde]...
http://www"dash"users.med.cornell.edu/"tilde"jdvicto/nycpdp.html
-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
The APC III was not IBM compatible at all in it's original form. It had a
special version of DOS and the floppy drives are _Quad_ density not double
density.
When NEC later saw the error of their ways, they offered a special card
called an SLE that when installed allowed the machine to run standard IBM
compatible software. This came with another version of DOS, which I think
was also specific to this machine for booting purposes. SLE stood for
Software Library Extender.
I think the special card had it's own 8088 cpu.
APC III's were heavily marketed here in Australia and were once very easy to
find. I have a number in deep storage (ie too deep to get out and look at
easily). NEC also provided financial incentives for software developers here
and I have come across several cases of startup companies built on these
incentives, all now gone though.
I think NEC learned about compatibility the hard way.
To get your machine going the first question is whether you have the SLE
card or not.
The second question is whether you have the correct monitor. I don't think
normal IBM style monitors will work.
Hans Olminkhof
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Willgruber <roblwill(a)usaor.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, 26 February 1999 13:36
Subject: Another NEC APCIII question.
>I got the NEC to seek the floppy. Sort of....
>
>Does the APC III Use a special version of DOS? If so, what version? I
>tried 5.0, and it won't work.
>
>ThAnX,
>--
> -Jason Willgruber
> (roblwill(a)usaor.net)
> ICQ#: 1730318
><http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
>
Here's someone wanting to sell a Tandy 1000 system. Please reply to
original sender.
Reply-to: javajam(a)totalink.net
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 06:15:36 -0500
From: Dave Trevino <javajam(a)totalink.net>
Subject: tandy1000
I have an old Tandy 1000 I was thinking of piecing out. Now I see there
is some interest in this era of computing. I personally don't have a
strong interest in these computers, but I'd hate to trash a great
example of early eighties pc. I hope you could tell me Where I could
sell and for what.
The system is:
Tandy 1000 (no letters)8088 processor
dual 360k 5.25
128k base mem w/ isa expansion to 640k
original rgb monitor, keyboard, two joysticks, and touch pad
original 120 dot matrix printer
My parents purchased the computer new about 1984-5, and it has never
given any problems. It is in pristine shape with just a lillte wear in
one joystick and on the touch pad.
I have all manuals for computer and original Tandy specific version of
MS-DOS 2.1 and Deskmate.
Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Dave Trevino
Also I have an 8088 Xtra
20mb isa HD
1 5.25" 360k
1 3.5" 720k
with bad switch on monitor
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)verio.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Puttin' the smack down on the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0!
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
Someone just asked me...
>Hmm...what is the difference between the 1000 M-series and the 21MX
>M-series? Paint?
I thought my response might be of interest to others, so here's the scoop...
The oldest systems in the "1000" series are the M series. They consisted of
the 21mx 2112a, 21mx 2108a, and the 21mx 2105a. Later HP introduced the E
series with the new 21mxe 2113a and 21mxe 2109a boxes. The E series did not
replace the M series though. Then there was a major revision to the power
supplies used in the cpu which was indicated by the B version (21mx 2112a
became 21mxe 2112b, 21mxa 2108a became 21mx 2108b, 21mxe 2113a went to 21mxe
2113b, and 21mxe 2109a went to 21mxe 2109b). The 21mx 2105a stayed 21mx
2105a though. Finally there was the introduction of the F series with the
1000F 2117f and the 1000F 2111f. When the F series was introduced, all the
systems became known as 1000's model such and such, with different
designations. So finally there was the HP1000 F series 2117F, the HP1000 F
series 2111F, the 21mxe 2113b became the 1000E 2113e, the 21mxe 2109b became
the 1000E 2109e, the 21mxe 2112b became 1000M 2112m, and the 21mx 2105a
finally changed to 1000M 2105a.
More to the point, most of the upgrades along the way in a given branch were
related to the power supply, the addition of more instructions to the
instruction set (most related to better memory management), and faster
memory boards.
The HP 2000 systems did not designate a particular cpu. HP2000 or access,
2000a, 2000b, 2000c, 2000c', 2000e, 2000F (option 200/205 or 210/215), and
the third party (NON-HP) 2000G designated a particular combination of
peripherals. The hp2000 family generally used the pre-M series 2114 or 2116
cpu's. Later the 2100A and 2100S cpu's were used. Finally, even though HP
still used the 2100 cpu's, many customers switched over to the 21mx 2108 and
21mx 2112 from the M series because they were slightly faster and used the
new semiconductor memory. Few did setup HP2000 on the E series because they
were faster enough to introduce time dependent problems in the TSB code.
Generally the HP2000 designation meant the system was running TSB (Timeshare
BASIC) which is my particular target of collecting since it was the first
computer system I ever learned. If the same hardware was running DOS/RTE,
etc. is was called an HP 1000.
Hope this helps!
Jay West
Hi Group:
I have absolutely no RT-11 documentation, although I have two systems
running it (both 11/23s). Does anyone have any online documentation on the
command language, configuration, device drivers, sysgen, etc? I'm fumbling
around without it.
I couldn't find much on the usual sources. An online intro, users' manual,
or similar would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
==========================================================
Sgt. Kevin McQuiggin, Vancouver Police Department
E-Comm Project (604) 215-5095; Cell: (604) 868-0544
Email: mcquiggi(a)sfu.ca
Okay - I got off my behind and looked it up in my favorites folder ;)
The URL for the emulator is: http://oscar.taurus.com/~jeff/2100/index.html
When you get to the website, notice there is a roughly 17 tape paper tape
set for something called MSU 4 user Time Share BASIC. NOTE THAT IS NOT
"TSB". The msu stuff is greatly stripped down - basically supports a TSB
like basic and saves to/from paper tape. It is however, quite interesting to
see how they wrote their interpreter. Even used the chebbychev
transformations....:)
Jay
-----Original Message-----
From: KFergason(a)aol.com <KFergason(a)aol.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: HP3000/2000/1000 emulators?
>If anyone does find it, please post it. (or email me).
>I did not find it via Yahoo or Dogpile.
>
>I started computing on a HP2000F back in '78. Man, that was fun.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kelly
>KFergason(a)aol.com
>
>In a message dated 2/25/99 9:24:42 PM Central Standard Time,
jlwest(a)tseinc.com
>writes:
>
>> in case you missed my post on classiccmp, Jeff Moffat wrote an emulator
for
>> the 2100. Don't recall the URL, but search yahoo & such for 2100 and you
>> should find it.
>>
>> Jay West
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Arfon Gryffydd <arfonrg(a)texas.net>
>> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
>> <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>> Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 8:11 AM
>> Subject: HP3000/2000/1000 emulators?
>>
>>
>> >Anyone know of any HP1000/2000/3000 emulators (for a PC running Linux?)
>> >
>
AFAIK, the IBM museum in Sindelfingen, Germany, has one, and it
is up and running (together with their 650, 1401, etc.). If you need contacts
there, I could give them; no Internet, though !!
John G. Zabolitzky
If anyone does find it, please post it. (or email me).
I did not find it via Yahoo or Dogpile.
I started computing on a HP2000F back in '78. Man, that was fun.
Thanks,
Kelly
KFergason(a)aol.com
In a message dated 2/25/99 9:24:42 PM Central Standard Time, jlwest(a)tseinc.com
writes:
> in case you missed my post on classiccmp, Jeff Moffat wrote an emulator for
> the 2100. Don't recall the URL, but search yahoo & such for 2100 and you
> should find it.
>
> Jay West
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Arfon Gryffydd <arfonrg(a)texas.net>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
> <classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Date: Thursday, February 25, 1999 8:11 AM
> Subject: HP3000/2000/1000 emulators?
>
>
> >Anyone know of any HP1000/2000/3000 emulators (for a PC running Linux?)
> >
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Willgruber <roblwill(a)usaor.net>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Friday, 26 February 1999 15:06
Subject: Another NEC APCIII question.
>I got the NEC to seek the floppy. Sort of....
>
>Does the APC III Use a special version of DOS?
Yeah, I think it does.
>If so, what version? I
3.3 IIRC.
I've got one here somewhere, I'll dig it out over the weekend and have a
look.
I might be able to do you a disk image of the boot disk.
>tried 5.0, and it won't work.
I think only the NEC 'version' of the OS will work.
Cheers
Geoff Roberts
Computer Room Internet Cafe
Port Pirie
South Australia.
netcafe(a)pirie.mtx.net.au