OK, we're done! All shares have now been spoken for in the first Teledisk
group buy. I would like to thank all those who were interested for
participating.
FWIW, the last share was claimed by Dan Burrows via a phone call.
I did receive about six more E-mails after the quota for this one had been
reached. This tells me that there may be more interest. If anyone else
wants to do this as well, please, go for it! This is a great way to buy the
higher-end software tools that would be useful to us, and if Sydex did it
for the group I had they can certainly do it for another one.
Banzai!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
30 Pin 4meg $12 and 30 pin 8 meg $? were at TRW swapmeet today. There is a
place in Santa Ana and Lomita CA that has "used" ones for about these same
prices. Alltech Computers is the name but I do no't have the phone number.
They sell a lot of mailorder. Hope this is of help.
-----Original Message-----
From: Max Eskin <max82(a)surfree.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 12:41 PM
Subject: OT: 30-pin SIMMS
>Does anyone here have any 30-pin SIMMs as often found in i386 computers
>that are more than 1 megabyte? I have 1-mb SIMMs but I've never seen
>bigger ones
>
>--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
>
>
Howdy, I've taken delivery on two MicroVax II's, one is a model 630QY-A2
and the other is a 630QB-A2, the QY is basically a narrow cabinet and the
QB is a wide cabinet. Both have 8MB and both have ethernet controllers.
Both were stripped of drives although one still has a tape unit. (TK50? How
can I tell?)
Here are the questions:
1) I'd like to find a disk or two for these (they each have slots for four
disks of the DU type.) what do I need to look for? Are there size limitations?
2) Can these things be booted over the network in a pinch? (one has no tape
drive)
2b) Do these things have boot roms that are interactive ala ODT? Until I
get disks is there anyway to verify that they work?
3) Would it make sense to combine the memory cards so that I have one 16MB
VAX or should I leave it at two VAXen?
4) One has a busextender unit that goes to a non-DEC disk card labelled:
"Wombat" (its a disk controller of some sort) with tag WQESD 2.8M
SCD-RQD11/EC
a) This is ESDI controller yes?
b) It has four data connectors so four drives?
c) Its in a different backplane UNIBUS perhaps? (quad height)
Both machines internally appear to be in very good shape. Anyone have the
"MicroVAX II 630 QB Technical Manual" ?
All in all it wasn't a bad deal at $18 each.
--Chuck
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 06:28:21 -0800, Bruce Lane <kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com>
wrote:
>>I'm a little surprised to hear of a V.35 cable on something like a paper
>>pe handler. Are you sure the thing really does have a V.35 interface, and
>>at Roytron didn't just happen to use the same connector that V.35 devices
>>do?
Since I have no operational data for the unit, it may not be a real v.35
interface, but it may just use the v.35 connector. Since it was used in a
PDP farm, I would suspect it's RS232. The cable that I remember that was
attached was RS232 to v.35 with no electronics in between.
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
Yes . . . there are lots of 4MB simms of the 30-pin variety around. I even
have a few sitting around and frequently have seen them offered for sale.
I have a couple of motherboards sying about which use the SIPP's, though,
and though it's quite easy to imagine SIPP's being as easy as ever to
build, I've never seen a 4MB SIPP.
Dick
----------
> From: Max Eskin <max82(a)surfree.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: OT: 30-pin SIMMS
> Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 1:40 PM
>
> Does anyone here have any 30-pin SIMMs as often found in i386 computers
> that are more than 1 megabyte? I have 1-mb SIMMs but I've never seen
> bigger ones
>
> --Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
<OK, except that I still don't understand. It looks like ALL of the signal
<are bussed straight across, except the bus grant. So I still don't see
<how the first card knows that it is first, and why the second card doesn't
<erroneously think that it is first.
MVII memory use PMI AND CD slots and the CD slots are not bussed for Q.
Allison
I've always wanted an IMSAI 8080. If you get two would you be willing to
part with one or possibly trade?
I know they seem to be fetching hefty prices from what I've heard so I don't
think I can afford one.. but thought I'd ask.
Jay West
-----Original Message-----
From: John Lawson <jpl15(a)netcom.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 4:06 PM
Subject: TRW encounters
>
>
> (Hey Paul! Sorry we missed you at TRW!)
>
>
> Marvin got a Processor Tech dual 8" floppy subsystem and an HP 65
>desktop comp.
>
> I found a Kaypro 10 for $5, and a Nicolet digital storage scope
>for $10. No chance right now to see if it works... I got a box of
>binders of HP 3000 software docs, and a bunch of other classiccmp
>related software books, like Lisp, Pascal, and some early IBM PC
>type books.
>
> (I have to work today and tonite; I won't be able to unpack the
>truck and get to this stuff until tomorrow.)
>
> I also was given a Sord Socius.. after the idiot who bought it
>tore it apart for the 8" disk drives, and then discovered he didn't
>want them after all. Any info on this machine? Date codes are from
>the early 80s, and it has an 8086 and 8087... color monitor... big
>machine. It's in pieces right now and the case is gone, but it
>might be good for parts.... I also have the OS (I think) and
>another disk which were in the drives. The OS disk is labelled
>partially in Japanese.
>
> I got a newish DEC backplane with some hex-height boards..
>L1011??? have to unpack it and then I'll look em up.
>
> I saw an old friend of mine there whilst I was buying the HP 65...
>he didn't know I collected Old Iron..... "Oh, then you would you be
>interested in two old IMSAI 8080s I have? I was using them to
>collect and collate earthquake data, but I don't use them now and
>they're just in the way..."
>
> YAAAHAHAHHAAA!!!!!! Of course what I said to *him* was: "Hmmmm
>those are really *old*... I'll call you monday and I'll come check
>them out...." salivate salivate Pavlov's Classic Collector
>salivate salivate...
>
>
> Non classiccmp... I got an ancient VOX harmonizer accessory, and
>the an old Teac Dolby Encode/Decode box.
>
> Dave Dameron stopped by.... but no party this time, Marvin and I
>both had afternoon appointments.
>
>
> Cheerz
>
>John
>
>
>PS: Next TRW: 27 March 99...
>
Someone just mentioned nicolet which rings a bell...
At a local surplus store, I've been eyeing a nicolet machine. It sure LOOKS
like a computer. ISTR panel labels about registers, instruction counter,
etc. Front panel has lots of blinkenlightenz. Can't recall the model number,
330 or 880 or 800 possibly comes to mind...
Also can't remember but there may be a dual floppy unit with it. Just on
appearances I was considering adding it to my collection - they only wanted
about $15.00 for it. Looks in good shape. Can anyone give me any information
on this guy about what it really is from my schetchy outline?
Jay West
(Hey Paul! Sorry we missed you at TRW!)
Marvin got a Processor Tech dual 8" floppy subsystem and an HP 65
desktop comp.
I found a Kaypro 10 for $5, and a Nicolet digital storage scope
for $10. No chance right now to see if it works... I got a box of
binders of HP 3000 software docs, and a bunch of other classiccmp
related software books, like Lisp, Pascal, and some early IBM PC
type books.
(I have to work today and tonite; I won't be able to unpack the
truck and get to this stuff until tomorrow.)
I also was given a Sord Socius.. after the idiot who bought it
tore it apart for the 8" disk drives, and then discovered he didn't
want them after all. Any info on this machine? Date codes are from
the early 80s, and it has an 8086 and 8087... color monitor... big
machine. It's in pieces right now and the case is gone, but it
might be good for parts.... I also have the OS (I think) and
another disk which were in the drives. The OS disk is labelled
partially in Japanese.
I got a newish DEC backplane with some hex-height boards..
L1011??? have to unpack it and then I'll look em up.
I saw an old friend of mine there whilst I was buying the HP 65...
he didn't know I collected Old Iron..... "Oh, then you would you be
interested in two old IMSAI 8080s I have? I was using them to
collect and collate earthquake data, but I don't use them now and
they're just in the way..."
YAAAHAHAHHAAA!!!!!! Of course what I said to *him* was: "Hmmmm
those are really *old*... I'll call you monday and I'll come check
them out...." salivate salivate Pavlov's Classic Collector
salivate salivate...
Non classiccmp... I got an ancient VOX harmonizer accessory, and
the an old Teac Dolby Encode/Decode box.
Dave Dameron stopped by.... but no party this time, Marvin and I
both had afternoon appointments.
Cheerz
John
PS: Next TRW: 27 March 99...
A bunch of X terminals were donated to the local university, but the company
was unable to find most of the host software... If anyone has the host based
software for these, i'd sure like to get a copy:
A couple Sun SPARCclassic X units were donated. They look to my eyes as
if they are a normal sun, just missing a floppy drive... Can I just install
Solaris on these?
A pair of terminals from "Phase X Systems". I've never heard of them.
The majority of terminals are from HP. Both HP Entria Plus, and a few
HP Entria II systems. I really* need the host software for these...
-Lawrence LeMay
lemay(a)cs.umn.edu