At 10:41 PM 2/26/99 -0800, Jason Willgruber wrote:
>How much would you want for the parts? I'm trying to get this computer
>running for a school project (the computer belongs to my school)
>
>I was just wondering --- Could I have an APC IV? Three of the teachers that
>have seen it have either called it an APC IV, or "The pain in the neck".
>Some of the descriptions that I've seen don't sound like the computer I
>have. Although it does say "APCIII" on the front panel.
>--
> -Jason Willgruber
> (roblwill(a)usaor.net)
> ICQ#: 1730318
><http://members.tripod.com/general_1>
Well, prices for parts isn't something I'd worry about. A box of
cookies plus shipping wwould be fine with me.... as soon as I
find the stuff. It would probably be better for you to tell me,
specifically, what it is you think you need. As far as software
and documentation goes, I don't have any -the reason I was
forced to dump mine. I tried (many ages ago) to decipher the
meaning/use of the dip switches at the back, but to no avail.
The problem with mine was that I tried putting a later version
of DOS on it, but the install pooped out, and since it ignored
the floppy on bootup, I was screwed. Even tried swapping
HD's etc. *NO* luck. They (I had two) were VERY picky
machines. Again, let me know what you need, I'll see if I still
have it laying around somewhere.
Les
On Feb 28, 15:59, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Subject: Re: interesting, interesting.
> That's it!
>
> At 11:45 PM 2/28/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >for starters. There's quite a good line drawing halfway down
> >
> > http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/techsupp/8mm/fullhigh/in0111.html
>
> On this page at step 5 is a drawing of my tape drive. Waaay cool!
Well, I'd suggest you look at the back of the drive (or sometimes it's on
the top) and see if it's an 8200 or an 8500 (8200 is more likely).
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
The guy below has two IMSAI VDP-80's [parts from one of them are on E-Bay but probably won't sell, the better, complete one is not yet offered], a Newtronics ELF, and a SWTPC 6800. He just trashed a System 34 and a Burroughs L6000. If anyone wants the IMSAI, ELF or 6800, call him. You will have to buy the stuff, and pay shipping [the IMSAI is all but impossible to ship, it's best a "pick-up" job]. He's in New Orleans I think, but I'm not sure.
Terry Freeman [SMTP:terryf@intersurf.com]
Mark Gregory
>Of course, since _all_ Amigas have either a "Commodore Amiga" or "Amiga"
>nameplate on the front, that shouldn't cause too much confusion :v)
>(except of course for one that my friend owned that had a VAXstation label
>... ).
Personally I like to confuse people by placing a Hoover by my monitor and
hiding the PC tower under the desk. It looks almost exactly like one of the
Silicon Graphics M2's.
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856
http://welcome.to/aig | "Shine on your star"
In a box I forgot about.. I have managed to acquire the following
Hewlett-Packard manuals for the 9000 series 200:
1. Shared Resource Management HP Series 200 Workstation Manual
2. Basic 3.0 Language Reference
3. " Programming Techniques
4. " Interfacing Techniques
5. " Graphics Techniques
6. " Utilities Library
Any interest? I don't want 'em.. got enough bokks around here
now that actually pertain to things I'm doing.. ;}
Cheers
John
I've got the EXT-4000-series manual. I never owned one of the 4380's,
though I tested a number. Miniscribe built a model 9380 which was quite
similar, except that fewer than 10% of them would pass our tests. However,
I used the 9380's for quite a while in my personal systems.
There was once a military (air force, I believe) site called TheRef, which
had much of this data, if you haven't the patience for me to look up the
information you need. I recall there were quite a number of jumper
options. If you can find me the desired configuration, I can give you the
relevant jumpers and their effects.
Dick
----------
> From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh(a)aracnet.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Maxtor XT-4380E ESDI Hard Drive settings
> Date: Sunday, February 28, 1999 5:19 PM
>
> OK, I'm stumped. I'm finally getting around to adding one of the 380Mb
> ESDI HD's that I got to replace the 150Mb ones I've been using in my
> PDP-11/73. So I check out "The Tech Page" and while they've got the
drive,
> they don't give any of the jumper settings. Does anyone happen to have
the
> settings for this drive?
>
> Zane
> | Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
> | healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
> | healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
> +----------------------------------+----------------------------+
> | Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
> | and Zane's Computer Museum. |
> | http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
One of the sub-goodies from the recent haul is a DEC CI-750
backplane in a 5-slot frame with three modules in it, though it is
marked for five.
1. L0400
2. L0101
3. L0118 * (placarded for L0100)
4. L0101 *
5. L0400 *
Where the * = occupied slot.
The backplane has absurdly large 5V power leads (2 ea #8) and
there are four coax cables coming from slot three backplane pins,
all with a side-mounted fan.
That's it.
Also: The Nicolet scope is a 2090-III, and although there is a
small trace of some kind on the screen, it is sorta autistic. :(
Now to track down docs and fix it. O Goody!! Another Project!!
Cheers and Thanks for all the help...
John
I've got both beige and black drives of this type. They were used in the
Maynard line of tape drives, and are really quite widely used, though
almost no PC-software supports them for "real" backups. Most of the
software I've seen for '95 is limited to floppy tapes and SCSI-II or later
drives. That's a shame, since the GOV went to this format after they
learned that one little 8 mm tape will hold what it takes a pickup truck of
the old open reel 6250 bpi tapes to hold. The button and lamp locations
were quite varied, since exabyte purchased the mechanisms from SONY and
they could be varied a bit.
Dick
----------
> From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis(a)mcmanis.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: interesting, interesting.
> Date: Sunday, February 28, 1999 4:59 PM
>
> That's it!
>
> At 11:45 PM 2/28/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >for starters. There's quite a good line drawing halfway down
> >
> > http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/techsupp/8mm/fullhigh/in0111.html
>
> On this page at step 5 is a drawing of my tape drive. Waaay cool!
> --CHuck
>
On Feb 28, 13:34, Chuck McManis wrote:
> At 01:04 PM 2/28/99 +0000, Pete Turnbull wrote:
> >Both of my ExaByte 8200's have black faceplates. However, the LEDs are
> >side-by-side about 1.25" from the left side of the drive, and the button
is
> >on the right.
>
> This describes my drive as well, two LEDs side by side on the left,
button
> on the right.
>
> >When the drive is powered up, what do the LEDs do?
>
> Stay on solid until the CPU counts down to 5 (could be 4) then they go
off.
Sounds similar to my ExaBytes...
> > If you press the button, does the front open to allow you to insert a
tape,
> > like a miniature VHS machine?
>
> Wouldn't say a VHS machine (I've got an 8mm cam corder) but certainly the
> door opens and there is space in it to drop in the tape and then
presumably
> close the door.
Hmmm... ExaBytes 8200's take an 8mm tape cartridge like a Video8 cartridge.
> > Or does it just have an open slot to slide a cartridge into?
>
> Nope, the 4MM DAT drive on my Sun is like that. This is not one of those.
I wasn't thinking of DAT, so much as the old DC300-type cartridges, which
are much bigger. No matter, it's obviously neither DAT nor QIC.
It sounds like an 8mm ExaByte to me. If it looks like it's 5.25"
full-height, probably an 8200, maybe an 8500; if half-height, probably
8205, possibly 8505. I'd suggest you take a look at ExaByte's web pages
and see if it matches one of their pictures. Try
http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/techsupp/8mm/fullhigh/
for starters. There's quite a good line drawing halfway down
http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/techsupp/8mm/fullhigh/in0111.html
I've just noticed Zane mentioned camcorder tapes; they do work, but in my
experience they're don't have quite the same long-term reliability. Oh,
and they're a slightly different length. But they'd be OK for testing.
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
On Feb 28, 13:34, Chuck McManis wrote:
> Subject: Re: interesting, interesting.
> Now we're getting somewhere!
I just discovered that ExaByte have a useful web page called "Identifying
Exabyte Tape Drives" at
http://www.exabyte.com/suppserv/techsupp/8mm/misc/in0059.html
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York