Anyone in the UK (heck, here for that matter) want some VMS books?
Get in contact with this fellow.
-=-=- <snip> -=-=-
On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:22:25 +0000, in vmsnet.pdp-11 you wrote:
>>From: "Tim. Bluck." <tb(a)oes-ee.demon.co.uk>
>>Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11
>>Subject: VAX / VMS Manuals etc..
>>Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:22:25 +0000
>>Organization: O.E.S. Electronics Engineers.
>>Message-ID: <3$oznCAhjR22Ewkx(a)planet-tharg.demon.co.uk>
>>NNTP-Posting-Host: planet-tharg.demon.co.uk
>>X-NNTP-Posting-Host: planet-tharg.demon.co.uk:212.229.58.50
>>X-Trace: news.demon.co.uk 920296582 nnrp-02:3920 NO-IDENT planet-tharg.demon.co.uk:212.229.58.50
>>X-Complaints-To: abuse(a)demon.net
>>MIME-Version: 1.0
>>X-Newsreader: Turnpike (16) Version 3.05 <g2k83c45w3$XeOnMEtH6P0Xg0v>
>>Lines: 12
>>Path: news1.jps.net!news.pbi.net!131.119.28.147!su-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!newsfeed.berkeley.edu!diablo.theplanet.net!dispose.news.demon.net!demon!news.demon.co.uk!demon!planet-tharg.demon.co.uk!tb
>>Xref: news1.jps.net vmsnet.pdp-11:1130
>>
>>Hello.
>> I have A whole load of Dec vax / vms / basic / all-in-one.....
>>manuals, If anybody would like any of them, or if there's any interest
>>at all, I'll try to post a list of what I have..
>>
>>They're free, You just pay for the postage, or collect. I'm in North
>>Kent, England. And I can be reached at the following e-mail address.
>>
>>tb(a)planet-tharg.demon.co.uk
>>
>>Many thanks.
>>Tim.R.Bluck.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."
As of 06:48, Monday, March 1 '99, we have TWO (2) shares left in the
Teledisk group buy.
I ask that those who may get the urge to get a couple of shares simply to
push things forward please hold off until, say, Wednesday afternoon. We may
get another couple of folks into the ring.
Thanks to all who have participated so far.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
>>I have absolutely no RT-11 documentation, although I have two systems
>>running it (both 11/23s). Does anyone have any online documentation on
>>the command language, configuration, device drivers, sysgen, etc? I'm
>>fumbling around without it.
>There is no on-line documentation... if there is, I'm sure Mentec
>would be a little bothered by it.
Actually, an "on-line" version of the RT-11 mini ref nearly made it into
the 5.7 release. Space considerations on the floppy distributions is
what axed the idea in the end. And all the manuals are "on-line" here,
just not publicly accessible :-(.
> There might be HELP available on
> the system, depending on the version and whether all the required
> files are still there...
If it's not there, then an web-accessible version of the same information
(albeit for RT-11 5.7, the Y2K compliant version) is available from
http://www.trailing-edge.com/~shoppa/rthelp/
or
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/rthelp/
The second reference will be faster to view, though slower to type in :-)
The above references have been available for well over a year and a half
now.
> Megan Gentry
> Former RT-11 Developer
Gees, should I start signing myself "Tim Shoppa, Current RT-11 Developer,
Former Nuclear Astrophysicist?" ? :-)
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
Reply to him directly if you are interested.
-- Kevan
Collector of old computers: http://www.heydon.org/kevan/collection/
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Neil R. Temple <SMASafety(a)compuserve.com>
To: "collector(a)heydon.org" <collector(a)heydon.org>
Subject: Vintage Electronics
I am in the process of cleaning out my home office and realized that I have
1st generation office electronics that may be of interest to a collector.
I have a Sharp PC-7000 portable computer ( 2 - 5.25 " drives, no hard
drive!, LCD screen, detachable keyboard with case, original manuals and
disks) a portable fax machine (300 baud rotating drum Polaris Datafax 300
with carrying case, manuals and paper) and a personal copier (3M 051 copier
- 2 step thermal transfer process with paper) all very early 80s. Are you
interested or do you know another collector who may be?? I just can't bring
myself to junk these old friends.
I'm not looking for money for these items, only the cost of shipping.
I'm located in Northern Virginia, just south of Washington, DC. I may be
able to provide photos and/or additonal information. I really want to
move them out of my office, but can't bring myself to just throw them out.
>> Are there any adapter cards so 4 1mb simms can be used as a 4mb
>> 30 pin? I have seen those that can be used as a 72 pin.
Well, I came across a 72-pin adapter that took 30 pin SIMMS (I'm not
sure if you meant that or were talking about 72 pin adapters that took
72 pin SIMMS). I've never seen a 30 - to - 30 adapter around, although
I'd expect it to be possible to build one. I think SIMM-savers were only
around briefly during the couple of years when 30 pin SIMMS were going
out of fashion and 72 pin ones were coming in.
I remember working on some PCs (Unisys?) a few years ago which had all
their main memory on a full-length daughterboard card - there were
something like 16 30-pin SIMM sockets on there, although I think the
systems only recognised 256Kb SIMMS, not 1Mb's...
cheers,
Jules
>
>
This is an update for the rather large group buy of Teledisk I'm
coordinating.
As of 23:32, Sunday, 28-Feb-99, we have 47 people in on it and THREE
license shares remaining.
That's three shares left, folks.
More updates as I get them. Thanks to all those who have participated so far.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
I have a TRS-80 Model 16 I'd like to get rid of. Comes with:
* Base unit with two 8" floppy drives
* keyboard
* printer
* Twelve Meg Disk System
* Nice stack of manuals
I picked this up last summer, but haven't had the time to clean it up and
make it work. It powers up fine, but won't boot from the hard drive or
>from floppy. There's some minor screen burn-in.
I *really* don't want to ship this monster. I live in central Iowa, and
pickup is welcome. I'm also driving across the country at the end of the
month, so if you live between Iowa and Connecticut, we might be able to
work something out.
I'm not looking for much in exchange - some nominal amount of cash or
something small and interesting.
--
Ben Coakley http://www.math.grin.edu/~coakley/ coakley(a)ac.grin.edu
CBEL: Xavier OH CMEL: Xavier
Since I have no maint docs, does anyone know what the error
message "System Status 02" mean during a Kaypro 10 boot?
The ROM signs on, CP/m signs on and then it hangs with that message.
ROM 1.9e CP/m V 2.2F
10M ready light is on, Floppy light is on, floppy does not access,
keyboard clicks but no effect. multiple resets return to the same state.
Cheerz and Thanks
John
OK, I'm stumped. I'm finally getting around to adding one of the 380Mb
ESDI HD's that I got to replace the 150Mb ones I've been using in my
PDP-11/73. So I check out "The Tech Page" and while they've got the drive,
they don't give any of the jumper settings. Does anyone happen to have the
settings for this drive?
Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh(a)aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh(a)holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing, |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.dragonfire.net/~healyzh/ |
Uh oh. Chris is rather furious with me.
I guess I really should have culled his phone number, but I really thought I
was doing EVERYONE a favour.
A
--
Andrew Davie adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Museum of Soviet Calculators
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/slide/calculator/soviet.html
Yahoo! Netscape, New Scientist, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and UK
Independant Cool Site!
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <doug(a)blinkenlights.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Monday, March 01, 1999 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: Even More Stuff available
>On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>
>> He just wants too much money for some very mundane stuff. He thinks
>> the shit is worth gold, but its not.
>
>Define "mundane." Can you get H11 software and docs at the 7-11? For
>somebody that *needs* the stuff, the prices are on the high side, but not
>completely absurd. It's simply impossible to ever say what something is
>"worth" unless it's a commodity. Don't even try. As you've seen, even
>prices on ebay vary wildly for the same stuff -- it all depends on who's
>looking on a given day. There's no formula. Rare doesn't necessarily
>mean valuable, and "mundane" doesn't necessarily mean cheap.
>
>> > How about $100 for H-11 doc 3-ring binders, and $140 for the paper
>> > tape media software.
>
>Speaking of paper tape, does anybody know where I can get fanfold paper
>tape holders? I've got one holder, and its great to organize the tapes,
>but I need a few more. Any good substitutes?
>
>-- Doug
>
>