This one is of special interest to Tim Shoppa, but I figured the rest of
the vax lovers here would be interested too.
I just ordered an external SCSI cable for my VaxStation 3100 model 40 - which
everyone said was terribly expensive due to it being a wierd connector.
I ordered it from 1-800-digital and they want $58(us) + tax. For those
with 3100 model 40s (it changes from model to model) the part number is
17-02-008-02.
Generally speaking this is the second time I've ordered formerly VERY expensive
parts through 1-800-digital and gotten them for a fraction of the price
people were quoted in the bad old days. If you have DEC hardware and need
some wierdo proprietary pieces for it - simms, cables, etc - I would encourage
you to call them and get a current quote on the prices. It's been speculated
that what's happening is Compaq is unloading the spares for post-end-of-life
DEC stuff, so you might want to do it soon.
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your debate about eBay filled up about 1/4 of my mail this morning.
It's obvious that you're at an impasse of opinion. The messages on the
subject are funny but the humor is the desparate kind. Since there IS
another list (as Megan and others pointed out) could you find some way to
tone down the traffic?
I swear, a few more of these arguments and I'll have enough data to create
an eBay-argument-generating program! :)
-- Derek
So I just got of the phone with David Webster:
David Webster <david(a)wccusa.com> Phone +1-408-353-5252
Webster Computer Corporation Tollfree 1-800-5WEBSTER
16040 Redwood Lodge Road Fax +1-408-353-5253
Los Gatos, CA 95033-9260, USA http://www.webstercomputer.com
Dave's company designed the WQESD controller and WOMBAT software and
sublicenced it to Sigma and Qualogy. He's selling a copy of the manual to
me. (Yippee!!)
Since some of you have offered to buy my "other" controller I asked him if
they had any left and he said he suspects they do. So if you need a Qbus
ESDI disk controller card you might give him an email or a call. I have no
idea what he would sell them for (didn't ask) but hey, you could get a
'new' one.
--Chuck
Does anyone know where I can get technical information on the Motorola
CyberSurfer cable modem? I want to know if there's any way to hack it to
do weird stuff.
Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar(a)siconic.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always hasslin' the man.
Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
[Last web site update: 02/15/99]
>I have the data books on the T9000 chip (one on the hardware, one on the
>instruction set), but they're nearly 500 pages each, so rather
>impractical to copy.
>
Well, he didn't really provide me with much information. I just sent him
another email indicating exactly what he has (i.e., software, boards, docs,
etc)
That way, I can easily see if I can get him up and running.
>IMS cards sound like INMOS, of course. I can't find the B013 in the data
>book, though. It's not an ethernet TRAM (B407 or B431, I think), and I
don't
>think it's part of the B300 ethernet interface system.
>
I never seen or even heard of an IMSB013 board. I figured it was a modified
B300 or ethernet tram.
>> transputer motherboard that looks like a TMB12 from Transtech. He also
>> has all the power supplies and the case.
>
>Probably a clone of something INMOS, or at least close to it. Is this a
>board that takes TRAMs, or what? What host bus does it use?
>
The TMB12 is a 12-slot tram board from transtech, similar to the B008 from
INMOS.
He said it looked like it but used C012 crossbar switches instead. I got to
see if I
can get more info from him.
Ram
I have the docs on that board and additional info on hidden things in the
setup for it. With a PAL change it can be a disk and tape controller as
well. If we can find some blanks I could make a copy for you.
Dan
>Thanks to everyone and some additional snooping the tape drive is indeed an
>Exabyte 8200 8MM SCSI tape drive. It is connected to a SCSI board labelled
> "TD Systems Inc"
> "VIK/QTO #2719"
>and a rom labelled:
> "Viking Q/B A3.1"
>(presumably QBus)
>
>Now to see what OSes support the board and if I can find docs ...
>--Chuck
>
>
Thanks to everyone and some additional snooping the tape drive is indeed an
Exabyte 8200 8MM SCSI tape drive. It is connected to a SCSI board labelled
"TD Systems Inc"
"VIK/QTO #2719"
and a rom labelled:
"Viking Q/B A3.1"
(presumably QBus)
Now to see what OSes support the board and if I can find docs ...
--Chuck
Hey,
Not all of us can find Altairs. So I had to brag about whatever it is that I
got. (I would prefer to brag about an Altair though)
How many of have the IBM PCjr Carrying Case?
Francois
>Francois,
>
> Whatever floats your boat!
>
> Joe
>
>At 09:25 AM 2/27/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>Fine,
>>I got a complete PCjr with pretty much all of the peripherals ever made
for
>>it, two joysticks, color monitor, a box of software and the carrying case.
>>So there!
>>Francois
>>
>>
I was feeling nostalgic tonight, so I went out to the loft in the shop
and dug around and found an old TI Silent 700 portable terminal that I
picked up somewhere along the way.
It needed a little bit of work...the paper-advance stepper had seized
up, but a little TLC there got it happy again, and the solenoid that
pulls the thermal printhead away from the paper when the paper advances
was way out of adjustment. After tinkering with it for a while, I
powered it up, and it seems to work great.
The machine is a "Model 745 Portable" with built-in acoustic coupler
cups at the rear of the machine. It works at 300 or 110 baud.
I actually dug out an old Western Electric phone (most of the new
telephones today have handsets that won't fit into an acoustic coupler
cup) and dialed up my Sun Unix system (which has a couple of 28.8 modems
hanging off it), and stuffed the phone handset into the cups, and viola...
a (upper case only) LOGIN: prompt! Heck, there was even a termcap for it!
The terminal works great...I loaded up the PDP-11 simulator, and loaded
the image for RT-11, and played around for a while. It brought back
some memories, no doubt! The acoustic coupler worked fantastic...no
glitches, except when the dog barked at a noise outside...and I got a few
@'s printed.
The first question for y'all is this: On the rear panel of the machine is
a DB-15 male connector...my assumption this is for hooking up a (RS232 or
current-loop) 'direct connection' to the terminal. I don't have any
documentation
for the machine, and am wondering if anyone out there might know the pinout
for this connector.
The next question is: Anyone know where I could find the thermal paper for
this
thing? I've got a good sized roll of it in the machine, and a spare roll
still
in the wrapper, but my guess is that as time goes on, it's only going to
become
more and more difficult to find. Anyone know if thermal FAX machine paper
in
roll form would work?
Happy retrocomputing,
Rick Bensene
The Old Calculators Web Pages
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/7510