At 02:58 PM 3/1/99 -0800, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>So far, as far as being THE venue for buying/selling/trading old computer
>things, I say that the VCF is second only to eBay. But the advantage of
>the VCF is that you can get stuff MUCH cheaper than you would have to pay
>on eBay. Last year all sorts of excellent stuff got sold for very
>reasonable prices.
The VCF is an admirable effort, indeed, but I don't see how you're
going to avoid eBay's influence on the price of old computers.
For the booth sales, I'm sure eBay's prices will have an effect
on the initial price for some high-profile items, don't you?
The VCF isn't an auction, right? Or are you thinking of an auction
format for next year? If you took a small cut, it might be good
for the bottom line.
- John
>For the T2/T4/T8 (original transputers), there's the :
>C004 crospoint switch
>C011 parallel bus -> link interface
>C012 ditto
>
>According to the databook, for the T9000 there's (at least) the :
>C100 Protocol converter (links T9000 links to T2/T4/T8 links)
>C104 packet routing switch (same sort of function as the C004)
>C101 parallel bus -> link interface
>
>Be warned, I've done quite a bit with the original transputers (both
>TRAMs and bare chips), but I've never seen a T9000.
>
I just found out that I have all the datasheets from Inmos! The IMSB103
is a DS-Link to Ethernet interface. I also got some more info on the T9000
transputers.
I too have never seen a T9000 or worked with them, so I don't know too much
about them
either. I did work with T4 and T8 though.
Ram
To doug, and the rest of the list. First, to doug. As for my "contribution
to the last flame war" I made one post stating my opinion. I'm sorry if you
feel this is not allowable.
To anyone else, that I may have offended, by posting an e-bay auction, I do
apologize, again.
I must say, that I am disappointed with this. I subscribed to this list,
because I enjoy older computers, and I wanted to learn more about them. As a
thank you for the knowledge that I learned, I attempted to help someone else
by pointing out a possible find for them.
I'm done. I will not post another post at all to the list. I will sit here,
and do nothing more than read. That way, no one, including doug, will ever
feel that I have offended their opinions.
Noel
Doug wrote:
> I just checked and found you contributed to the last flame war about this
> topic. There's a mailing list setup where you can perform these acts of
> kindness for people who have indicated they appreciate them. Send a
> "subscribe ccauction" to majordomo(a)nut.net, and you can list your finds
> there as often as you like.
>
> Please don't continue posting auctions to the classiccmp list where
> several people (especially me) find them very annoying.
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
A magnification from one of my other posts:
Prior to doing a websearch, has anyone on The List any info about
the Sord Socius machine that I brought back from TRW?
It appears to be in the same evolutionary tree as the early NEC APC
series, ie; it uses soldered-in 8086 and 8087 (haven't looked for
multiples) and twin 8" drives vertically mounted to the right of a
12" color monitor in a large case with seperate keyboard.
Like the APC as well, is built like the proverbial masonry
defecatorium.
I also have the original (OS?) disk and another, that were in the
drives.
Cheerz
John
PS: I am just going out to unpack the haul from TRW, and I will
fire up the Nicolet scope and see if it works...
Hello -
There may be some IBM 5160 type computers available in a day or two.
I'm not interested, but if someone wants to pay shipping I'll look
into it. Reply quickly, since I'm not interested they'll go in the
dumpster if I don't hear anything.
john
--
***********************************************************************
* John Ott * Email: jott(a)saturn.ee.nd.edu *
* Dept. Electrical Engineering * *
* 275 Fitzpatrick Hall * *
* University of Notre Dame * Phone: (219) 631-7752 *
* Notre Dame, IN 46556 USA * *
***********************************************************************
Just a note, some of us (like me) read the list in digest form, one
big blob per day. It arrives around 2am with the previous days'
messages in it. Usually I read it around 11pm. So there is typically
over 30 hours delay between when messages are sent and when I read
them. (Say, sent before 5pm, read the next day around 11pm). I
doubt that I am the only one in this situation, although I might be
the worst case, reading late at night as I do. (And now you know
why I always seem to revive dead threads!)
With this in mind, please don't expect everybody to respond right
away. If you really want to offer something to everybody, you have
to allow at least two days turnaround time.
Of course, if there are other reasons to need quick responses, do it!
I know I am sacrificing something to get the list in digest form, and
I won't blame anyone else for that. And in this case, I have such
mixed feelings about Sydex that I'm not sure I would have responded
anyway. So this is more of a "note for future reference" than
anything else.
Aside from all of that, thanks Bruce, for putting in the effort on
this. Even though I didn't leap at it, I did consider it, and
appreciate it.
Cheers,
Bill.
On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Bruce Lane <kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com> wrote:
] Well! This is going better than I ever expected!
]
] We've got 17 people so far, counting myself, interested in chipping in for
] a copy of Teledisk. This has brought the per-person price down to $9.00
] (assuming $150 for the program plus $3.00 shipping).
]
] We have eight slots left out of 25 originally, and it occurs to me that I
] should probably set a deadline. For the moment, that deadline is 17:00
] Pacific Time Sunday (2-28). In other words, tomorrow by five.
]
] If you're interested in getting in on this, please let me know via private
] E-mail by then.
]
] Thanks to all who've signed up so far.
]
] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
] Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
] http://www.bluefeathertech.com
] Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin(a)bluefeathertech.com
] SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
] "Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
] human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."
I would like to extend a special thanks to Bruce Lane & Michael Grigoni for
coordinating the Teledisk and HP belt purchases. It is that cooperative
spirit that makes this such a wonderful group.
Thanks guys,
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Had to rescue the Nicolet computer. Still not sure if I'm going to keep
it...but at least it won't go to the scrap heap.
I've never seen core quite like this. Each core plane is 4 cards, about 4"
by 4", with 1K on each card (4k per core module) - plus the standard
xydriver and sense/inhibit. The four cards of the core assembly are joined
by small pins/solder brides between the cards. Really large doughnuts :-)
This machine is actually very clean inside, despite it's 1974 vintage.
The back panel is unique, with most peripheral devices connecting via coax.
There appears to be a home-brew mod to switch select tty (current loop) or
RS232 and if RS232 either 300 or 2400 baud.
Despite the grainy photo - the 8" floppy unit really has only one drive.
Also got the decitek paper tape unit.
If anyone is curious - pics attached.
Marvin wrote with respect to a HP85:
>print each iteration of the program. The tape drive roller is gooey
>although it is still round at this point :).
I've often see rubber items on old printers and stuff go "gooey" like this.
Does anyone understand why this happens and whether it is reversible?
Sometimes in 2 different examples of the same machine, one has the problem
and the other hasn't.
My apologies if this has been discussed before. I missed it.
Hans Olminkhof
Zane H. Healy mentioned reading Mac disks in Windows:
>Rumor has it that there is something along these lines. Since use a Mac
>and Windows I've never looked into it.
There is a freeware utility called TransMac or something like that. It is
also possible to use Mac CDs and disks using the Executor Mac emulator.
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856
http://welcome.to/aig | "Shine on your star"