At 07:08 AM 3/2/99 -0800, Sam wrote:
>On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Mike Ford wrote:
>
>> I am a bit touchy right now because yesterday I had a very unpleasant phone
>> exchange. Typical story, guy buys a few pallets at auction, and finds in
>> this case some old macs in with the PC stuff he wants. He has, once it is
>> cleaned up and checked out, if it is as he describes maybe $400 retail of
>> goods. He doesn't just decline my very fair offer (about $150 for the
>> curious) in light of the actual untested pile of stuff on a pallet
>> condition, but tells me he will just throw it in a dumpster if he can't get
>> a retail price. Ignore the fact he paid 3 cents a pound or $20 a pallet,
>> and wants me to buy the part he doesn't want.
>
>This is the worst kind of asshole and I've encountered them a few times.
>I can't understand what goes through the puny mind of someone with this
>sort of attitude.
>
I understand them. In fact, I'm working with one of them right now. He
just tossed a whole pallet load of PS-2s and another pallet load of HPs. (I
wasn't there that day or I would have tried to get them but they know that
so I'm sure that's why they were pitched the one day I wasn't there.)
Anyway, his view is that if he takes a lower price then people will start
expecting him to sell cheaper. Therefore he sets a price and he doesn't
care how long it sets, he won't come off that price. Sooner or later he'll
scrap it. We just scrapped a brand new $100,000 circuit board component
placing machine today. It was brand new and was still in the original
(HUGE) crate.
Joe
At 11:50 AM 3/2/99 -0800, Sellam wrote:
>
>Yes they will. But the sellers are always welcome to go through the
>hassle of using ebay rather than the simple immediate exchange of cash for
>computers. Cleaner and easier than ebay.
Huh? Attending VCF in person and renting a flea market spot and
dealing with customers is easier than using eBay? Wow, you really
do put a positive spin on VCF. :-)
- John
>Anyone have a manual for the DEC LA75S-A2? This model has both parallel and
>serial ports, although the serial port is the skewed RJ-45 connector.
MMJ. See the comp.os.ultrix FAQ for pinouts and comon adapter cables.
>I haven't been able to find out anything about configuring/setting up this
>printer.
Hmm - my LA75 has a SETUP button on the front. Hold it down, power
the printer up, you get a menu of options to change. Is the SETUP
button not on yours?
> There seems to be a little info on the Web on how to set up up for
>DOS/Windows, but I want to use it with DEC equipment (VT-220, VT340, Pro,
>etc.), and I don't even have a new enough manual to give a description of it.
With DEC equipment, you plug it in, turn it on, and go.
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
Trying again. I just discovered the listproc looks at every message and
there is a hold command.
Hold the setup button while you turn it on. It will then print its current
setup. You can change values with the other buttons. The button names that
are below the buttons are for the setup mode. You want the DEC emulation
for VT420 etc. use and the "other" emulation is IBM proprinter.
Dan
>Anyone have a manual for the DEC LA75S-A2? This model has both parallel
and
>serial ports, although the serial port is the skewed RJ-45 connector.
>
>I haven't been able to find out anything about configuring/setting up this
>printer. There seems to be a little info on the Web on how to set up up
for
>DOS/Windows, but I want to use it with DEC equipment (VT-220, VT340, Pro,
>etc.), and I don't even have a new enough manual to give a description of
it.
>
>It looks like it will take a font cartridge, too? Anything useful?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>
Hello, all:
Courtesy of Ruud Baltissen, I have been given OCR'ed versions of the KIM
"hints" book and the "user's guide". Over the next few days, I'll reformat
them slightly and post them. Enjoy!
[ Rich Cini/WUGNET
[ ClubWin!/CW7
[ MCP Windows 95/Windows Networking
[ Collector of "classic" computers
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/
[ http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/pdp11/
<================ reply separator =================>
Anyone have a manual for the DEC LA75S-A2? This model has both parallel and
serial ports, although the serial port is the skewed RJ-45 connector.
I haven't been able to find out anything about configuring/setting up this
printer. There seems to be a little info on the Web on how to set up up for
DOS/Windows, but I want to use it with DEC equipment (VT-220, VT340, Pro,
etc.), and I don't even have a new enough manual to give a description of it.
It looks like it will take a font cartridge, too? Anything useful?
Thanks,
Dave
On 1 Mar 99 at 1:58, Gareth Knight wrote:
> Zane H. Healy mentioned reading Mac disks in Windows:
> >Rumor has it that there is something along these lines. Since use a Mac
> >and Windows I've never looked into it.
>
> There is a freeware utility called TransMac or something like that. It is
> also possible to use Mac CDs and disks using the Executor Mac emulator.
There are two DOS based shareware apps, MacSee and Macette. Try your
local Simtel mirror site in the DOS area under DISK. Needless to say,
these utils only work for 1.4Mb disks, not 400/800Kb.
Phil
**************************************************************
Phil Beesley -- Computer Officer -- Distributed Systems Suppport
University of Leicester
Tel (0)116 252-2231
E-Mail pb14(a)le.ac.uk
On the off-chance that someone can use it for something, I'll offer a CXI
3270 (coax) board for the 8-bit ISA bus, condition unknown.
I plan to ship via USPS Priority mail. If you want it, let me know. I
have had little use for such a card, but I am told if you need one, little
else will do.
Dick
In a message dated 3/2/99 1:42:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jott(a)roadkill.ee.nd.edu writes:
> There may be some IBM 5160 type computers available in a day or two.
> I'm not interested, but if someone wants to pay shipping I'll look
> into it. Reply quickly, since I'm not interested they'll go in the
> dumpster if I don't hear anything.
>
> john
well, they're only XTs, but shirley they deserve something better than just to
be thrown out? Personally, I don't think any computer no matter how
'worthless' should be thrown out. It could do word processing or dos tutoring
at the very least.