>> Anyone heard of the old newsletter Cursor? Is there anyone out there
>> with backissues that might be persuaded to photocopy a few?
>I seem to recall - I was about 15 at the time so I could never afford it -
>Cursor was a newsletter for the Commodore PET that came on (or accompanied
>by) a cassette full of fun programs.
>Does this tally with other people's memories, or am I thinking of some'at
>else?
>Philip.
Yes I have a couple dozen of the Cursor Magazines, They used to be one of
my favorites, Also Run Magazine, and the very best was Transactor Magazine.
All published in the 80's
Phil..
In einer eMail vom 03.03.99 09:57:34 MEZ, schreibt Doug:
<<
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Bill Yakowenko wrote:
> Is anyone out there actually tinkering with building a relay machine?
> The other day I found SPDT relays for less than a buck each in a
> Digi-Key catalog. Seems to me they were $0.81 each in quantities of 100
> or more; maybe $1.06 each for 25. I know NPDT (N>1) is better, but for
> less than $1 each, this seems pretty good.
I've created a small private mailing list for a few people (including me)
who are (thinking about) building relay machines. You can get relays
pretty cheap at surplus electronic shops, but that doesn't sound like a
bad deal for matching new relays....
>>
Hi Doug,
would you mind to keep me informed ? Before turning to tube equipment,
I studied relays. In my way of doing things, strict register transfer logic,
a computer is no more general than a counter (on the base level),
so I built two different relay counters to see how the technology feels like.
It did not agree with me, so I turned to tubes. But still, I would find it
quite interesting to see what you do !
You are aware of the Halle site on Zuse Z3?
www.informatik.uni-halle.de\~thurm\z3
Regards
John G. Zabolitzky
John Lawson <jpl15(a)netcom.com> said:
> I take this trenchant opportunity to remind the Assembled
> Faithful that
>
> www.abebooks.com
>
> is, IMHO a rilly bitch'n place to score Olde Computer Books.
>
> I have just today gotten my copy of "Digital Techniques for
>Computation and Control, 1958... full of killer pix of cool old
>iron, which will go to swell the many megabytes of scans I'm
I prefer to use BookFinders http://www.bookfinder.com/ because they
search Powell's Books, Amazon.com, Bibliocity, YourBooks.com, Antiqbook
AND Advanced Book Exchange with just one search.
My latest score?
"BRAINIACS: 201 Small Electric Brain Macines, and how to make them,
Including all 33 Geniacs (1955), All 13 Tyniacs (1956), and 155
Brainiacs (1957-1958-1959). Illustrated by Ann B. Baker. Berkeley
Enterprises, Inc., Newtonville, Mass. (1959). FIRST PRINTING."
When I received the book, I found that 3 of the chapters in
pamphlet form (published before 1959) were also included.
--Doug
=========================================
Doug Coward
Press Start Inc.
Sunnyvale,CA
=========================================
>But still, I would find it quite interesting to see what you do !
I am also interested in relay driven logic. This seems to be more OT than
much of the discussion here so, I'd like to see updates posted to the
group.
Does anyone have objections to that?
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Hi folks,
A week or so ago there was discussion of modifications to switch an RL02
drive to read (only) RL01 discpaks. I want to perform this mod to one of my
RL02s as I have RL01 pacs I want to keep on hand.
Could any of you provide the details to this mod?
That's why I want to trade an RL01-A printset for an RL02 as seen in my
previous msg. I could use a 'roadmap' to help me with this and for future
repairs if needed.
The SN's of the two RL02s are CX 34389 and CX 34390, if that has any
relevance to the modification.
Thanks for your help!
Regards, Chris
PS: I'm getting back into trying to get the 11/34A system up and running.
I have the rack and components down in my basement shop now. (My body is
still sore. That empty BA-11K and empty 6-foot rack are heavy! :) I will
likely be asking a few questions as to why I wasn't able to get a bootup
going last autumn and how to fix it. I'm really just a hardware newbie for now.
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/awa
Added the following to my growing collection today :
Commodore 1201 monochrome monitor ($2) works too.
Triumph Adler Alphatronic PC, came with monitor, cables by the
bucketload, manuals & 2 external 320k floppies.
This one cost $12. It powers up with Microsoft ROM Basic 5.1, but
apparently can also run CP/M, so will see what I can do with it.......
it originally had a system disk as well, but that no longer exists. If
you power on with no disk in the first drive, it won't work ......
What I didn't get : An old HEAVY Osbourne 8088 "portable" (sure - if
you've got a crane), they've put it aside for me - next week!.
An HP 85 - this one looks interesting, it has a full sized (88) key
keyboard, also a tiny 5" green monitor built in, as well, it has a built
in printer (dot matrix I *think*), that has a paper roll about 4" wide,
not sure exactly what this thing is, anyone know ? (this also is put
aside).
An IBM (no model number) two internal side-by-side black 3.5" floppies,
non-standard monitor connector, PS/2 style mouse & k/brd connectors,
small grey box, about the width of a normal keyboard, 5" high, about 12"
deep. On the rear "Manufactured by IBM Japan 1987" nothing else.
And the final one, at first sight it looked like two floppy drives in a
box, closer inspection showed that it was actually a PC of some
description, standard RS232 & Centronics port at rear, looks like a
normal 9 pin RGB connector & a k/brd connector that was 25 pins, 13 on
top, 12 on bottom. Only identification was "Made in South Australia by
Australian Typewriters, lisenced from Ohio Computers USA (c) 1980" They
want $20 which is a little hexy for something unknown, with no manuals,
or keyboard.
Oh, the TA is up for grabs (in Australia) if anyone wants it for my cost
price plus postage.
Cheers,
Lance
> Anyone heard of the old newsletter Cursor? Is there anyone out there
> with backissues that might be persuaded to photocopy a few?
I seem to recall - I was about 15 at the time so I could never afford it -
Cursor was a newsletter for the Commodore PET that came on (or accompanied
by) a cassette full of fun programs.
Does this tally with other people's memories, or am I thinking of some'at
else?
Philip.
> I'm posting this to the list so you can't say I didn't do my homework.
> I tracked down a 4051 that I saw mentioned on the web and asked about it.
> Here's their response:
>
> Greetings Joe,
> I have had your e-mail on my to do list for
> sometime but the alligators have been chasing me on other chores. Any
> how The tek 4051 is about 1976 vintage and it is only recently that we
> disposed of them to our surplus place. We had 4051, 4052 ,plotter,
> joystick and a printer. I still have all the manuals and microfiche for
> them I think.
> The address for our surplus unit is <sniped>.
>
> I'm already working on trying to get the manuals and to find out about
> their surplus disposal.
Keep up the good work! I never meant to imply that you had failed to do
any homework...
Philip.
Greetings DEC gang:
I need an RL02 printset. I have an extra RL01-A printset. Will anybody trade?
I'll take a good xerographic copy. If a copy, I would like it kinda sized
to fit in my DEC blue prinset binders with my other prinsets.
Thanks much.
Regards, Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt(a)netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association
URL: http://www.ggw.org/awa
Enough is enough; this childish one-upmanship and thoughtless
bandwidth-wasting public argument about a topic which is of little interest
to me, but more to the point where neither party will ever convince the
other party that they're wrong has forced me to take the plunge.
I realised long ago that the only way to win these sorts of arguments is NOT
TO PARTICIPATE. Thanks to everyone who has refrained from adding to the
pointless debate. To the others - the only way to win is not to play. Have
a think about that.
I have unsubscribed, and will not see any replies unless they are directed
to my personal email.
A
--
Andrew Davie adavie(a)mad.scientist.com
Museum of Soviet Calculators
http://www.comcen.com.au/~adavie/slide/calculator/soviet.html
Yahoo! Netscape, New Scientist, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and UK
Independant Cool Site!