Hi,
Is there any demand for Mac IIci manuals and system disks? I may be able
to spread a few around. Also, hypercard manuals. Some still shrinkwrapped.
We have a pile of complete IIci systems that we don't know what to do
with, since they've been recently replaced by Quadras and translucent blue
towers. Any place that could make use of them and _not throw them away_?
We might donate a couple....
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
In a message dated 99-03-05 20:23:57 EST, you write:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, William Donzelli wrote:
> >3380s are hitting the junkyards in record numbers now, so getting one for
> >free is an easier option!
>
> What's a 3380 like?
>
> --Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
pretty good size. think closet size. you could almost open the doors and get
inside. impressive with belts and motors. certainly made lots of noise in the
computer room i worked in 1992. I remember when they got rid of 4 strings of
3380 DASDs and replaced with one hitachi unit that had even more space.
Technology improves so quick.
Hi,
With the recent announcements of books found at the thrift shop & used book stores,
I was wondering if any of you guys can keep an eye out for transputer books. I am currently
looking for Helios Parallel Operating System. Thanks.
Ram
In einer eMail vom 04.03.99 21:09:08, schreibt Dwight:
<<
Hi
If I was to build an electronic visual computer, I would
use neon lights. All the logic functions can be done with
these and the results are visual. NE2's can be bought in bulk
for a few cents each.
I built a relay combination lock once but I used relays
and doides to cut down on the number of contacts needed.
Dwight
>>
You need SOME amplifier element; just logic alone would not do.
Neon lights for logic certainly would be possible, but neither convenient nor
reliable in my mind, since the difference between ignition voltage and burning
voltage
is not that big. Diodes are MUCH more convenient AND a lot less expensive
than Neon lights.
John G. Zabolitzky
---Sellam Ismail <dastar(a)ncal.verio.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Mike Ford wrote:
>
> > IIc external power supply $10
>
> More like $5
>
> > IIc matching green monitor $12
> > IIc matching monitor stand $8
>
> $8 just for the monitor stand? Both together should only fetch $10.
I recently picked up a //c+ (never seen one before),
monitor, stand, external Laser 5.25" drive, mouse,
two Imagewriter I's, manuals, no disks for $15 at
a Hamfest.
I considered it a good deal.
-ethan
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
I was roaming the local GSA surplus depot and have the following to report;
Pallet lot of DEC manuals about 5 feet high, boxes and boxes of ringed
binders, and a bunch of paperbacks still in shrinkwrap. labeled $60
System Industries tape drive, like a VAX used in a 5 foot high 4 foot deep
very nice cabinet. label $100
Large box of tapes 600 to 6250 bpi, I didn't notice a price.
Pallet of 11 items, including old printers, but also a Tandy 1000, and a
commodore Amiga, and other stuff I didn't ID. label $250
The routine discount from labeled price is 60 to 70% off, but they want to
get rid of these items, so be creative.
GSA surplus depot is listed in the phonebook and has a web page.
http://www.pd.dgs.ca.gov/materials/surfull.htm
>> What Mark needs is a program that talks to the ASPI DLL to get access to
>> the SCSI bus directly. Sure it can be done under Linux or any other UNIX
>> like operating system on x86 hardware but when the tape drive is connected
>> to a PC running windows and there is no opportunity to install a different
>> OS, then this problem arises.
Hmm, well presumably a Linux bootdisk can be made that'll have dd on it
as well as a SCSI-based kernel and MSDOS filesystem drivers, that way no
OS needs to be installed and the tape data can be written to one of the
PC's hard disks...
of course, this assumes that dd is sufficient to read the tape (as
somebody pointed out), and that the PC is using a FAT-based filesystem
on its disks, not NTFS.
cheers,
Jules
>
Dunno about the build a mainframe from things you have at home song, but
Frank Hayes' S100 Bus is a hoot. I find myself singing it every time I
get into the guts of a PC, especially the verse:
There's a board for the modem line
and one for every port
and a printer board and a keyboard board
and as a last resort
for every problem we will add
a board that is the cure
it's not too damned efficient
but it's a mother, that's for sure.
Well it's Cheer up me Lads, let your hearts never fuss
When you're implementing systems on the S100 bus.
--
Jim Strickland
jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
Could someone who is subscribed to the digest version of the list please
(compress and) email me a copy of digest #698? I lost it due to problems with
my mail software.
Somewhat on-topic question: can someone recommend a program, to run under
MS-DOS (or maybe Windows) that is capable of reading a file (in the tape
sense) from a SCSI tape drive. Not interpreting the file at all, just being
able to copy it to disk.
-- Mark
>>Somewhat on-topic question: can someone recommend a program, to run under
>>MS-DOS (or maybe Windows) that is capable of reading a file (in the tape
>>sense) from a SCSI tape drive. Not interpreting the file at all, just being
>>able to copy it to disk.
>What sort of tape drive? If it's supported under Linux, and it probably is,
>then 'dd' would certainly do it.
'dd' will also throw away all the original blocking information on the
tape. Many platforms and OS's will depend on finding tape marks and
varying record lengths, and if you just 'dd' the tape all this information
is lost. I've made a good amount of money over the years recovering
RSX-11M BRU tapes where someone transferred the tape through a Unix
system with 'dd' and lost all the blocking information.
Most Unix-like OS's come with "tc" or a variation that will display
tape blocking information; often folks take the output of "tc" and use
this to create a script of "dd" commands that will handle the various
block sizes on a particular tape. Under RSX-11M and VMS, I much prefer
"TPC" format, which allows exact tape images to automatically be made
with all the blocking information preserved.
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927