<I've got a Q-bus board I can't identify, its labelled:
< Data Systems Design
< 44432-4
<
<Its a dual height card with a 26 pin idc connector on the top and two
<82S100 chips. I'm guessing it is some sort of parallel interface...
Sounds like the interface card for the DSD-880 disks systems. They were
RX01/2 floppy and RL02 workalikes though they were fixed disks not carts.
Allison
Okay, this is stupid. It should be a simple thing. But, as I
always say, better safe than dead. So...
Can anybody give me pointers on disassembling an IBM 5151 monitor?
I rescued one from a dumpster, but it seems to have something
metallic-sounding loose inside. Since it sounds like metal (and
not glass, for instance), I want to remove it (or properly attach
it wherever it belongs) before powering up. I can imagine all sorts
of bad things that a loose bit of metal could do inside a monitor
with the power on.
I know enough to avoid the high voltages once I get inside, but
would much prefer to get inside without breaking the CRT's neck.
The enclosure is made of two parts; the front that fits around the
face of the CRT and the front half of the bottom form one piece;
the remainder is the second. When I set the thing on its face
and remove all screws in the second piece, the front half of the
bottom flexes inward under the weight of whatever is attached to
it. It does this enough to worry me - any attached innards must
be getting closer to the CRT's neck when that happens.
Help?
Thanks in advance.
Bill.
*nod* Ours were well into the million pages throughput. This was a college
housing department, and we were running ALLIN1 desktop on our vaxcluster so
an obscene amount of printing fell to our 2 LN03s (one per floor of the
admin building). And yes again, the one that overheated DID have a fan
motor problem. The fact that they stood up to this constant abuse speaks
well of them, to be honest. And actually since I know the vaxcluster is
still
in place at that site (I ping it from time to time out of curiosity) I
shouldn't be surprised if
those printers are still there, 6 years later.
><Nice enough laser printers for their day, but they tend to overheat, if
><memory serves. If you get one, make SURE the fan works. Check. I seem
><to recall we had problems with those on a Vax site I worked on once.
>
>Only if the fans are missing or dead. I was part of that design team and
>overheating was never a problem. The most common problem was a printer
>designed for an peak use of 5,000 pages a month being used as a line
>printer. They get a bit tired and cranky if they werent kept clean and
>get over a million pages on them. Inshort they were commonly abused.
>
>Oh, one note... there are about 5 versions of the printer depeinding on the
>logic (ansi, enhanced ansi, postscript, postscript/ansi hybrid, video
engine
><part of QPSS package>).
>
>Oh the launch date is 1984 and production continued through 90-91 (memory
>test).
>
>
>Allison
Just a curious question:
Which came first, paper tape or punched cards? I'm not concerned about
"invention" dates, I'm more interested in "came into very common use" dates.
Actually, I'm not concerned about dates either - just which one came into
very common use the first.
Always wondered - thought people here may have an idea.
Jay West
G'day,
1. Weitek Multibus Array Processor.
A two-board set for 16-bit ISA bus. Until recently, resided in an IBM
5170. Part number is 3002-0025-02. On the top board two largest chips are
Weitek WTL1066GCD's, "FP data paths / multiport register files".
Technical manual and/or software (math library?) would be nice to have :)
2. 8" IBM floppy drive.
Visible markings: IBM53 51TD EC 786450 85-W 23 P/N 4240513
Where does this come from? DejaNews gives a clue, but no definite answer.
--
Sergey Svishchev -- svs{at}ropnet{dot}ru
On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:28:52 -0800 (PST) Sellam Ismail
<dastar(a)ncal.verio.com> writes:
>On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry Anthony but I have to object, we already had this
>discussion that
>> this was not the list to talk about Ebay and now you are turning it
>_into_
>> ebay. Couldn't these auctions also be run on the ccauction list that
>Doug
>> hosts on nut.net ?
>
>Chuck, I have to object to your objection.
>
>I think what Anthony is doing is quite admirable. Instead of taking
>his
>stuff directly to ebay, he's offering it here on the list with a very
>fair
>auction system. He takes the highest bid by a certain date and sells
>the
>item for that amount. He doesn't disclose the bids, so there's no
>chance
>for last minute outbidding, and he keeps the winner's identity
>private.
>
I'll second that. The whole purpose of this group is for hobbyists
to help each other. By offering it here first, he's giving opportunity
to those of us who normally don't get them . . ..
___________________________________________________________________
You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail.
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
Visiting a surplus shop today, I found a small herd of Tek Oscilliscopes. Some
of them looked pretty old to me. They want real money for them too. Details:
Model Mod 1 Mod 2 Cart
----- ----- ----- -----
564 3C66 2B67
564 3A74 2B67 Y
504 Y
561A 3A72 2B67
5111 5A20N 5B10N
515A Y
549 1a1 Y
D11 5A14N 5B10N Y
504
564B 3A9 3B4
Prices were originally $200 for most of them, except the 549, which was $400.
Some of them had been marked down to $100. They have some kind of automatic
decrease in price based on how long things stay in the store (1% per day?),
but most of them have been there only since late February. And I don't know
how that effects the ones that were "manually" marked down.
I suspect these prices are outlandish. The same place wants $25 for 2400
baud modems. :-) Anyway, the age-based discount may eventually make the
prices more reasonable. At least for the scopes, if not the modems.
The ones marked "Y" under "Cart" had a "Scope-Mobile" cart with them. But I
didn't think to get model numbers from those.
Oh, and I can't guarantee that these work. I didn't ask if they would allow
me to test them, and at present I don't know enough to be able to test them
anyway. I also can't guarantee that they'll still be there when I next visit.
Questions:
0. How old are these guys?
1. Are any of these potentially useful for computer work? Can they handle the
frequencies used in old machines, say, up to a few MHz? (Judging from their
apparent age, I wouldn't hope for much more than that.)
2. Anybody want one? Be aware that in addition to the price tag, I wouldn't
expect these guys to be easy or cheap to ship. (At least one time in the
past I have had to back out of a deal because I couldn't arrange shipping
within cost & safety constraints.) And the carts are probably too big to
go through UPS or USPS. Given all that, if you want one, let me know.
Cheers,
Bill.
I got some docs (still shrink wrapped!) for poly-XFER CP/M Comms for the
DEC VT-180 or DECmate II running CP/M. You could probably find the disks
for this at ftp.update.uu.se?
If anyone would like these, let me know.
Dave
>Cursor. That reminds me of that TV show in the early 80s. Wasn't it
>called "Automan"? It was this dude who somehow got transmutated with his
>computer and was like a digital superhero. His sidekick was a flashing
>star called Cursor. It didn't last long.
Good memory... yep.. "Automan" - a holographic projection which was
called Automan because "He's the world's first truly automatic man."
(I'm not going to go there...)
Anyway, the actor who played Automan is the one doing the Xyban (Zyban?)
ads on TV...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
You wrote...
>Have you tried a motor repair place? This sounds like a fairly standard
>'run capacitor' for an induction motor.
Tried several local places no one has it so I was looking through the
digikey catalog...
>Just out of curiousity, why do you think it's bad? Is it leaking or
>something? Motor problems on TU56s are normally caused by the transistors
>on the G848 card (or problems on the G847).
It was just a guess given the one inch tall electrolyte snake growing out of
the top of the can :) Long as I'm in there working on it I was going to
replace all four (is this overkill)?
Jay