How embarassing... my 11's are Qbus - NOT unibus....
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay West <jlwest(a)tseinc.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
Date: Monday, March 08, 1999 3:59 PM
Subject: PDP-11 (Qbus) disk question
>I've got several PDP-11's, all unibus - that use the RQDX2 controller.
>
>A friend of mine just came up with a 380mb Maxtor ESDI drive. Will the
RQDX2
>support it?
>
>Jay West
>
>
And with a uVax in mind, where does the 9047 bus grant go? The last C/D
slot (4) underneat the ethernet or in the first non C/D slot ? (I'm
guessing the former...)
--Chuck
>IIRC, the ETA has Tiny Basic in ROM. I recall having fun lashing it up to
>my new, freshly-built H-19 terminal and later, my freshly-built H-8
>computer via a terminal program (which I've long forgotten which) from
>the HUG. Those were the days! :-) :-) :-)
That's it... just rub it in...
Now I really want to find one... <sigh>
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>This is the point isn't it? Finding an Altair at a garage sale or swap
>meeting in Bloomington Indiana would be like finding the Holy Grail in a
>pawn shop, not friggin likely.
Really? I managed to scavenge up a half-dozen IMSAI'S and almost as
many Altairs in a couple of years in Southern California in the early
90's. Then again, I didn't just scout around at garage sales - I
hooked up with the owners through local clubs, business associates,
etc. Or I frequented places that do industrial-type surplus. I
wasn't particularly targetting IMSAI's and Altair's, these acquisitions
came about mainly in the course of looking for other stuff.
There's a few lessons here, I think:
1. Never define what you're looking for too narrowly. There's lots
of interesting stuff to play with out there - you don't need any
particular brand/model/serial number of computer to enjoy them.
2. Be willing to call or visit anywhere in a 50-mile radius at a
moment's notice.
3. Be dedicated, don't give up, and get lucky :-)
I honestly don't think anyone can complain that there aren't interesting
things out there to collect. In the past decade, I probably averaged
8000-10000 pounds of stuff a year (then again, I'm mainly interested in
minis and industrial controllers.)
Tim.
Greetings to all:
Since I've been absent for about a week, 800 messages have piled-up
>from the list; reviewing them will take awhile so I'm posting this
to report on the HP-85 belt/capstan issues status globally.
The belts have arrived and are being mailed-out early this week. I
installed a set in our HP-85 and they work well.
I tried a new approach to capstan repair which I find works very well.
Clean the capstan of old rubber down to a minimal amount of residue
with isopropyl. Obtain a can of dipping vinyl (for coating tool
handles, etc.); most hardware stores should have it. Remove the
capstan/encoder wheel ass'y from the motor shaft. Prepare the
vinyl properly according to directions with the product. Dip the
capstan (inverted) at the rate of about 5 seconds for its length,
being careful to just dip just above the bottom rim of the capstan
wheel so that the vinyl creates an overlap of 90 degrees. Withdraw
the part at the same rate as insertion. Immediately invert the
part and place on a level surface in a warm place to dry for four
hours. During the drying time you will note that any vertical
asymmetry evens out. Repeat with another dip and 4 hour dry.
The results were very good and tests with an old tape containing
an 84 record program produced no errors (reading or writing).
Attached is a small jpg which gives an idea of the appearance of the
results (max mag. avail with the camera lens).
Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum
Re:
> Thanks Sellam. That's precisely what I'm trying to do. I want the stuff
> to go to people who'll actually collect or use it. The auction lists and
What if he posted the item on eBay, but with a non-descript
title/meaningless like "old computer", with no explanatory text, and
then posted a brief message here, with a pointer to the eBay item?
The idea behind that is only a single message would ever appear for
any given item ... he wouldn't need to tell the losers who won (they
could check on eBay), and the mechanics are handled by eBay.
> >I don't think he's been excessive with his auctions either. So far it
> >seems to be one every week or so.
I agree, and have no problems with it. I'd prefer a classicmp
collector competing with me to having Alex Z competing :)
Stan Sieler
sieler(a)allegro.com
This boot disks seem to be all the rave :) I need one for a KayPro II. I
assume this is CP/M, but I am not sure, since I never actually used this
computer. But if someone can provide the disk, I will have a perfect KII.
Thanks.
Todd Osborne
Senior Software Engineer
FMStrategies, Inc.
http://www.fmstrategies.com/
--------------------------------------------------------
FMStrategies, Inc: tosborne(a)fmstrategies.com
Internet E-Mail: todd.osborne(a)barnstormer-software.com
--------------------------------------------------------
Founder of the Virtual Windows Class Library (C++)
http://www.barnstormer-software.com/vwcl/
--------------------------------------------------------
Anagrams? (http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/)
Can you figure out this one? Want the answer? E-Mail me.
COCO VERDI MOM (Hint: Think Late 1970's Computer)
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
2 Wrongs Don't Make a Right, But 3 Rights Make a Left!
--------------------------------------------------------
At 04:28 PM 3/7/99 -0800, Sellam Ismail wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:
>>Couldn't these auctions also be run on the ccauction list that Doug
>> hosts on nut.net ?
>
>Chuck, I have to object to your objection. I think what Anthony is doing
>is quite admirable.
Yes, according to the recent ruling, gloating over ownership of cool
gizmos is only appropriate *after* the acquisition - not before!
- John
>Rebadging was more prevalent earlier when everything had to appear to come
>from the same company, but these days it is accepted that pieces come from
>here and there.
Since the advent of the PC-clone industry, it is accepted that lots of
hardware items are "no-name", with no indication of who manufactured it,
where it was manufactured, and usually minimal or zero documentation
about the product.
(OK, some of this no-name stuff predates the PC-clone industry. Apple
][ clones in the Lasnerian mid-80's are also examples that comes to mind.)
Tim.
Greetings,
-Membership is at a healthy 42 members to the Altair Computer collector's club. My goal is reach 100 members by the end of '99. Spread the word! http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/altaircomputerclub
-If you haven't already seen the parent website to this club please check it out- http://altaircomputers.org It's chalk full of useful info for Altair computer enthusiasts.
-One of the most important initiatives of the website is to complete the owner registry of MITS computers including 8800, 680 and Attache http://www.geocities.com/~daveygf/registry/registryserial.html If your model is not on the registry, let me know so I can update the list. Of course your privacy will be respected if you don't want your name published.
davidfreibrun(a)home.com