>> HP machines at the last VCF?). But if TI puts bids out, then they care
even
>> less than I thought. Unless they have some perverse internal bid system?
>
>No, that's TI bidding the calculators to school districts. Obviously
>they have to build what their customers want.
I think 'bid specifications' have nothing to do with what customers want.
It is boilerplate to be included in specifications for competitive bidding
which will exclude other similar products. I've seen this done - you pick
some irrelevant, but unique, features of the product you want to buy.
Maybe you can avoid competitive bidding altogether by writing a sole-source
justification. TI is just streamlining the acquisition process.
Russ
(Yet Another Update)
Thanks Megan! It turned out that when I removed the Viking tape card to
inspect it I re-inserted it backward (no ears on that one). That meant the
RQ11 wouldn't fit in slot 6 and that meant an empty slot.
Q1) So how badly does it toast things in the Q-bus to be backwards in slots
A-B ?
Q2) Do all empty slots need to have bus grant boards?
--Chuck
>Is it impossible to use an RQDX2 on the Q-bus side of a DW11-B? I've run
>a Unibus machine (an 11/45) with an RLV11, IBV11, MINC modules, etc on
>the other side of a DW11-B with no problems.
>
>Never heard of it being done, but it might be fun to try....
I've never tried it myself, but if I had an 11/84, I would... I
might just try having the cpu, mem, mem and a DELQA in the qbus
part...
But then, it has been a while since I last saw the insides of an
11/84 (I built one from parts found in the halls of the DEC Mill
for use by the RT-11 development group way back when... We hadn't
yet been able to requisition one, but had to support it anyway :-)
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
-----Original Message-----
From: Megan <mbg(a)world.std.com>
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
>Sorry... once I get my mits around hardware, it is hard to pry it
>away from me... :-)
Your husband must be very happy. ;)
OK, you don't get to borrow it, but I'll look out for a second one with you
in mind.
- Mike: dogas(a)leading.net
I recently picked up an old Versatec 8536 electrostatic plotter at a Hughes
auction. When I inspected it, all the disks were there. A week later when I
picked it up, as you might guess, all the 3.5" disks were gone. I am now
looking for a set of disks to copy or purchase. Call Mike at 323 462-5772 or
email mikeparadiso(a)worldnet.att.net
Darn, there was a mistake... so I had to redo it...
- - - - -
Let me answer like this...
In a BA123:
o The Qbus passes direct from slot1/ab to slot4/ab
o For slots 5-12, it does the serpentine (5/ab, 5/cd,
6/cd, 6/ab, 7/ab, 7/cd, etc...)
o All dual boards must be placed at some point in the
serpentine. For slots 1-4, this means AB. For
slots 5-12, this can be either AB or CD.
o Quad boards which may not go in CD must go in slots
5-12
o For quad boards which can be either CD or Q/CD, the
jumpers on-board must be set for the slot you are
placing it in (there should be a couple of jumpers
which are removed if the board is placed in a Q/CD
slot, 1-4, and installed if it is placed in a Q/Q
slot, 5-12)
o For quad boards which can only go in Q/Q, they may
only be placed in slots 5-12.
o If you follow the serpentine, there should be no
empty Qbus slots between the processor and the last
board in the bus (there are exceptions, but for now
regard it as a hard and fast rule).
o For any gaps in the serpentine, you should install
a M9047
o The RQDX1 is a mutant, since it doesn't pass any
grant signals, it must be the last board in the bus
o The RQDX2 tried to correct this, but didn't quite -
it must be the last DMA device in the backplane...
Non-DMA boards *can* be placed after it
That's it in a nutshell. For a BA23, the critical numbers are
slots 1-3 == Q/CD, 4-8 == Q/Q. There are also some backplanes
with Q/CD in all slots, and some which are Q/Q in all slots.
Know thy backplane!
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>After I get it built and have a chance to grok and run a few laps in it,
>I'll let you *BORROW* it if you wish...
Sorry... once I get my mits around hardware, it is hard to pry it
away from me... :-)
Thanks, I'll look for one of my own... :-)
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>Thanks Megan!
Any time... glad to help...
>It turned out that when I removed the Viking tape card to inspect it I
>re-inserted it backward (no ears on that one). That meant the RQ11
>wouldn't fit in slot 6 and that meant an empty slot.
Whoops... I've done that once before (*once*)
>Q1) So how badly does it toast things in the Q-bus to be backwards in
>slots A-B ?
>Q2) Do all empty slots need to have bus grant boards?
Let me answer like this...
In a BA123:
o The Qbus passes direct from slot1/ab to slot4/ab
o For slots 5-12, it does the serpentine (4/cd, 5/cd,
5/ab, 6/ab, 6/cd, etc)
o All dual boards must be placed at some point in the
serpentine. For slots 1-4, this means AB. For
slots 5-12, this can be either AB or CD.
o Quad boards which are not for CD, must go in slots
5-12
o For quad boards which can be either CD or Q/CD, the
jumpers on-board must be set for the slot you are
placing it in (there should be a couple of jumpers
which are removed if the board is placed in a Q/CD
slot, and installed if it is placed in a Q/Q slot)
o For quad boards which can only go in Q/Q, they may
only be placed in slots 5-12.
o If you follow the serpentine, there should be no
empty Qbus slots between the processor and the last
board in the bus (there are exceptions, but for now
regard it as a hard and fast rule).
o For any gaps in the serpentine, you should install
a M9047
That's it in a nutshell. For a BA23, the critical numbers are
slots 1-3 == Q/CD, 4-8 == Q/Q
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
My God... and now we've got free PDP-11/70's in California. With SCSI,
no less!
Grab 'em while you can!
-=-=- <break> -=-=-
On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:48:25 -0800, in alt.sys.pdp11 you wrote:
>>Message-ID: <36E453B9.E69B85EE(a)jps.net>
>>Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:48:25 -0800
>>From: "E.B. Lieberman" <ebliebe(a)jps.net>
>>Organization: Bank of America
>>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.07 [en] (WinNT; I)
>>MIME-Version: 1.0
>>Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11,comp.os.rsts,comp.os.vms
>>Subject: PDP-11/70's - Now you can owe one of these great work horses
>>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>>NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.239.202.39
>>X-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.239.202.39
>>X-Trace: 8 Mar 1999 23:14:51 -0800, 209.239.202.39
>>Lines: 60
>>X-NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.63.224.240
>>Path: news1.jps.net!209.239.202.39
>>Xref: news1.jps.net alt.sys.pdp11:952 comp.os.rsts:69 comp.os.vms:21006
>>
>>Now you can own a PDP-11/70! Yep, that's right.
>>
>> I'm not talking about those little 11/8x and 11/9x Q-bus jobs.
>> I'm talking about the real thing; you know with MASSBUS and all.
>>
>>A global financial institution, previously headquartered in Northern
>>California, is getting ready to say goodbye to the last of its
>>PDP-11/70's. These machines (there are eight of them), were used as
>>message store and forward switches for nearly 20 years. Great minds
>>have tried to count the number of times the world wide GNP have flowed
>>through these systems; and failed !!!
>>
>>Each CPU has roughly the same configuration as follows:
>>
>> QED 11/70 processor upgrade with 4Mb memory plus cache running at
>>multiple VUP speeds.
>> (Wow, faster than a 11/780, VAX engineering - eat your hearts
>>out);
>>
>> Two System Industries CLUSTOR III MASSBUS disk controllers with 16
>>Seagate 1.0 Gig drives
>> built with SMD interfaces. Ten drives are fixed while the remaining
>>are in removable
>> canisters;
>>
>> One Fujitsu 2480M/3480 SCSI tape drive (emulates a TU81) plus
>>SCSI-UNIBUS controller;
>>
>> One TE16 or TU16 magtape drive (MASSBUS);
>>
>> Two DV-11's with modem control (16 channel sync or async adapters)
>>and custom drivers
>> set up for a variation on IBM BISYNC;
>>
>> Three DZ-11's and an ETHERNET DELUA;
>>
>> Plus software to show you that all hardware components are
>>functional;
>>
>>Did I say eight (8) CPU's? There's more !!
>>For a short time only, we can throw in tons of spares that include:
>>
>> More QED's, SETASI memory (2Mb and 4Mb), more DV-11's, more DZ-11's,
>>full 11/70 CPU kits,
>> DH-11's, DHQ-11's, 50-60 extra Seagate drives, as described above,
>>in removable canisters,
>> 24 or so extra SI CLUSTOR controllers, 3 to its own 19" rack.
>>
>>Am I finished? No way !!!
>>
>> I'll even throw in a few RP06 disk packs. The platters are great
>>for making Frisbee's out of
>> (kids, don't play with these without adult supervision).
>>
>> Boxes of hardware manuals and even a TECO manual (the first real
>>editor that today still has the
>> best macro generator going).
>>
>>So if you are interested in taking the entire lot (en masse), then drop
>>me a line and we can talk about it.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."
Don't know if we have any subscribers in or near Germany, but...
If so, this may be worth a shot. Contact the owner directly if
interested.
-=-=- <break> -=-=-
From: "Norbert Gmeinwieser" <NorbertGmeinwieser(a)swol.de>
Newsgroups: alt.sys.pdp11
Subject: PDP11/34A for free
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 20:55:55 +0100
Lines: 38
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.72.3110.5
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V4.72.3110.3
NNTP-Posting-Host: kons57.swol.de
Message-ID: <36e43894(a)news.swol.de>
X-Trace: 8 Mar 1999 21:52:36 +0100, kons57.swol.de
Organization: personal
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 195.238.142.105
Path:
news1.jps.net!news.pbi.net!131.119.28.147!su-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!nntp.flash.net!newsswitch.lcs.mit.edu!newsfeed.cwix.com!195.99.66.215!news-feed1.eu.concert.net!news-feed1.de1.concert.net!news.ipcore.viaginterkom.de!news.swol.de!kons57.swol.de
Xref: news1.jps.net alt.sys.pdp11:950
Because of lack of time I would like to give my PDP11 in good
hands. Location: South Germany, Konstanz
The following modules are installed:
KD11-EA M8266,M8265
FP11-A M8267
Bootstrap ROM M9301YF
Prog. Console M7859
MOS Memory 248K (not DEC !)
RX11 Unibus M7846, (2 Drives #0,#1 in a box = RX01)
DL11/W SLU/RTC M7856
Tape Drive TS03 M7911,M7912,M7821,M796,M105,M795
RK11-D Control. M7254,M7255,M7256,M7257
some Unibus connectors M9202,M920
Bus Terminator M9302
Complete in a 19" * 71" cabinet
2 RK05J drives are mounted - one with a deffective blower motor.
additional:
* a complete box BA?? with memory,CPU, RK05 controller can be used
as spare parts.
* other spare parts: CPU and RK11 Control - boards only
* media : may be 100 8" floppy disks, ~10 decpack for RK05J
* OS: RT11, floppy set for RT11-03 (one with read errors), fortran 4 (not
tested)
last power on time was some years (~3) ago.
any questions to: NorbertGmeinwieser(a)swol.de
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho,
Blue Feather Technologies -- kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech [dot] com
Web: http://www.bluefeathertech.com
"...No matter how we may wish otherwise, our science can only describe an object,
event, or living thing in our own human terms. It cannot possibly define any of them..."