This should probably be in the scanning document thread but... What format
should I used for this kind of scans? I thought GIF was pretty universal.
I'm not sure if I can produce PS outputs and the size of the files, I'll
give it a try... Hold on...
Francois
>This gives me an interesting dilemma. Is it going to be quicker for me to
>figure out some way to print that out on my Postscript printer or for me
>to trace the schematics out from the real hardware :-)
>
>-tony
>
Ok, so a uVax II can't do a 'test 50' to print out its MAC address, and it
isn't marked on the card itself. I can't seem to get tcpdump to see
anything, do I need a sniffer to get this puppy?
--Chuck
You wrote...
>PERQ? (Or do you count the fact that you can get them with PERQ systems
>and ICL nameplates as badging. On the grounds they were partially
>developped by both companies, I am not so sure).
I would have to call that rebadging, but I do see your point on that one.
>PERQ 3a (only ever ICL)
>
>Philips machines (although they _did_ badge other people's PCs at one
point)
>
>Acorn Archimedes?
>
>HP9100 (a computer in all but name)
>
>Xerox Alto, D-machines?
Yes, but would most people call ALL of these classic? Not to disparage them,
but... perhaps it's my interpretation of "classic" getting in the way.
Jay West
I just uploaded the schematics as published in Radio Electronics in May 1976
it's at :
www.pclink.com/fauradon
under the tech info page.
Francois
>I picked up an 8080 bread board trainer made by E&L Instruments this
>weekend. Does anyone have a manual for it?
>
> Joe
>
There I've saved the two images in EPS (Encapsulated Postcript format). Now
for the bad news: The files are about ten times bigger than their GIF
counterparts. I can not afford to place them on my server but if you don't
mind long downloads I can send them to you as attachement.
Francois
I knew there was a reason for using GIF:)
>> I just uploaded the schematics as published in Radio Electronics in May
1976
>> it's at :
>> www.pclink.com/fauradon
>> under the tech info page.
>
>This gives me an interesting dilemma. Is it going to be quicker for me to
>figure out some way to print that out on my Postscript printer or for me
>to trace the schematics out from the real hardware :-)
>
>-tony
>
In case anyone's interested, a front page story in today's
(Tuesday, 9-MAR-1999) Washington's Post features a picture of a
"VAX 11/780 Supercomputer" in a discussion of US policies towards
supercomputer exports. The computer and two tape drives (TU77's?)
are clearly visible.
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
>The RQDX3 would let you use an RX50, but it's not clear to me that this
>buys you very much. I don't think you can install VMS, Ultrix, or NetBSD
>from RX50s.
MicroVMS 4.x - a trimmed down VMS kit intended specifically for small
installations - came on a couple dozen RX50's. I think this is just
about as cruel as the Wagner Ring Cycle on "convenient" 45's.
You can still build a VMS STABACKUP (standalone backup) kit
on RX33's or RX50's, should you so desire. Just do @SYS$UPDATE:STABACKIT
and answer the questions.
The most convenient install medium for the past decade or so, of course,
is CD-ROM. Alternatively, clustering a machine with an already-up
node and moving the install sets over the network is pretty slick.
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
Hi,
----------
> From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis(a)mcmanis.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: YANU - uVax
> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 1:08 AM
>
> At 10:39 PM 3/8/99 -0800, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> >You are joking about wanting to "upgrade" aren't you? The only reason I
> >can think of to do that is to attach a RX50, since you've already got a
> >very good ESDI controller.
I have all the controllers/rx50 ...
I never used it. ESDI disks are easy to get, more capacity, ....
> Yes, the only reason I want to add the RQDX3 is to have a monitor prom
> supported bootable device with removable media. One of the uVax has the
> Exabyte on it (I don't know if the Viking will boot it or not) and the
> other has no media at all (although it does have a TK50 controller so if
I
> could find a TK50 drive that would work.)
A TK50 is cheap, and you can boot from.
> I'm going to try to net-boot NetBSD on it since I don't have any other
> VAXen to cluster it with. If that is successful then perhaps it won't be
> such a big deal, but I dislike computers that have a fairly high
> infrastructure overhead before you can get them running.
?!?!?!?!
Sorry, i have 2-3 uVax here, all of them have only cpu/mem/ethernet. All of
them are working fine. "infrastructure overhead" ????
just my .0002 cents.
cheers,
emanuel