The question of "what classic equipment was rebadged" is circular.
To be honest, I can't think of any computer equipment I've ever seen in my
life that wasn't at some time or other rebadged, oemed, merged, etc. under a
different name.
Why don't we just change the question to "what classic equipment was never
rebadged". If we do that, the conversation is basically over :)
Jay West
I found two CDs full of promotional kiosk demos which run on MS-DOS. The
demos are of office apps such as DBase IV, etc. The most interesting demos
are for the early Windows programs. If anyone would like me to upload any
of these (many famous products from -88,-89) just name it. The Windows one
is simply hilarious: "In the beginning, there was DOS..." I also found a
CD that is full of in-store demos of Macintosh System 7 (hypercard 'n
stuff). No word yet on availability of macintosh manuals mentioned
earlier.
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
I finally got a 7900A drive!
Does anyone have any extra of the media for it they might part with or know
where one can get that media at a reasonable price?
The 7900A uses a 12869A cartridge, which I don't believe is the same media
used in 7905 or 7906 drives (I think those used 12940 cartridges, don't
recall at the moment).
Thanks in advance for any tips and/or pointers!
Jay West
>>>And _History of Personal Workstations_ seems to classify the HP 9100 (1968)
>>>as a workstation.
>>
>>Oh, did you mean graphical workstation? Then maybe it was the DEC GT40,
>>introduced in 1972.
>
>What about the Tectronics terminals with vector graphics? I remember
>playing basketball on one in 74.
Both the GT40 and HP9100 were vector displays, too :-). (Although
to get "vector graphics" on the 9100 you need the optional X-Y pen
plotter.)
The HP9100 is a very nice "personal compute machine", and the example
I inherited was once used to compute the original space probe "slingshot"
trajectories by Van Allen at the University of Iowa.
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
Hello All,
At 06:37 PM 3/4/99 -0500, Lance Lyon <black(a)gco.apana.org.au> wrote:
>Added the following to my growing collection today :
[Snip]
>An IBM (no model number) two internal side-by-side black 3.5" floppies,
>non-standard monitor connector, PS/2 style mouse & k/brd connectors,
>small grey box, about the width of a normal keyboard, 5" high, about 12"
>deep. On the rear "Manufactured by IBM Japan 1987" nothing else.
Sounds to me like an IBM JX. It was pretty much IBM's last attempt to get
into the low-cost home micro market. It was similar to the PC Jr in many
respects.
For a bit more info, check out
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~alexios/MACHINE-ROOM/IBM_JX.html
Regards,
| Scott McLauchlan |E-Mail: scott(a)cts.canberra.edu.au |
| Network Services Team |Phone : +61 2 6201 5544 (Ext.5544)|
| Client Services Division |Post : University of Canberra, |
| University of Canberra, AUSTRALIA | ACT, 2601, AUSTRALIA. |
<The RQDX3 would let you use an RX50, but it's not clear to me that this
<buys you very much. I don't think you can install VMS, Ultrix, or NetBSD
<from RX50s. At least, I've never heard of it being done.
Assuming you have it on RX50s it can be done and was in the "early days".
My first V4.6 install was from floppy (RX50) as memory serves there were
some 60-80 of them. NetBSD can boot and do the initial install from RX50
as I'd tried it, unfortunatly it was 1.2C and that really killed the fun
for me. Ultrix was also available on RX50 for a while. NONE were
recommended but if it was all you had...
Allison
My source came through again. Today I picked up what is supposed to be a
PDP-11/03. Can anyone point me to a good URL to identify the cards in it
and provide some general info. I don't know anything about PDP-11s.
Joe
>Okay,
>
> I have some old computer manuals and I just bought a scanner...... Anyone
>care to suggest the best way to convert these manuals to electronic form
>and not take up HUGE amounts of memory?
I'm looking for insight on this as well... I've been experimenting
with various ways to convert my old manuals and listings to electronic
form with mixed results. It is not as easy as it might seem.
The first problem is how labor intensive this is. Just a 100 page manual
could take hours to scan front and back of every page. A scanner with
a GOOD sheet feeder that doesn't skew the pages would be very desirable
here.
Next, is how to balance the text content with the graphical content of
the pages. Do you leave the pages as a scanned image? Or do you
try to OCR them?
Leaving them as a scanned image is the easy way out, but isn't always
practical. Some pages I have have very small print, and the resolution
of the image required to make this text readable makes for huge files.
I have attempted to OCR several of my manuals, but this is labor intensive
as well, since the OCR dictionary seems ignorant to any technical term
or abbriviation, and the formatting of the pages gives it fits too.
What is the answer? I have a huge pile of old, hard to find docs that
I am eager to put in electronic form for many reasons... ease of access,
sharing with others, preserving hard to find information, getting some
space back that's currently occupied by a mountain of books.....
>Thanks,
>
>Arfon
Thanks,
Jim
At 03:09 PM 3/9/99 -0500, Tim wrote:
>>
>>The HP9100 is a very nice "personal compute machine", and the example
>>I inherited was once used to compute the original space probe "slingshot"
>>trajectories by Van Allen at the University of Iowa.
> Can you document that?
They were rescued from a dumpster behind the U of Iowa's Van Allen Hall in
the fall of '89. The 9100 and the plotter have Dept of Navy property stickers
on them that could be used to trace usage back, assuming that any such
records were kept. My conversations with Van Allen and other staff there
didn't turn up anything showing that this was conclusively that calculator,
though the fact that he had used a identical 9100+plotter combination for
the calculations was enough to convince me. (Heck, I would've rescued
the 9100 in any event.)
>If you can prove that it's the one that you have then I'd say you have a
>item of historical significance.
You ought to try hanging out at national labs for a while. Just about
everything gets junked. I had a blast at Caltech/JPL looking in the
back of machine shops for WWII-era rocket assemblies. Found a lot of
really cool assemblies, but obviously no complete rockets :-)
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
>Ok, so a uVax II can't do a 'test 50' to print out its MAC address, and it
>isn't marked on the card itself. I can't seem to get tcpdump to see
>anything, do I need a sniffer to get this puppy?
Hmm - the boot request is actually far below TCP/IP in the protocol
scheme, so it's not surprising that at least some versions of tcpdump
don't see it. Does the tcpdump that you're running have a
promiscuous mode (usually '-p')?
Most boot servers can be set in a mode where they print
out the hardware address of anything that makes a request. From VMS,
you can just log in, do a REPLY/ENABLE, and you'll see the hardware
address whenever anything on the net requests a boot.
If you have a DEC machine that has an ability to show its hardware
address (e.g. just about anything except a uVax II), you can pull
the bipolar PROM on the DEQNA and drop it into the "more capable"
machine and show the address burnt into the PROM. AFAIK all the DEC
hardware address PROM's are interchangable.
Alternatively, just boot VMS on the uVax, get into NCP, and do a
SHOW CHAR LINE * to show the hardware addresses of all the configured
ports:
$ mcr ncp
NCP>show char line *
Known Line Volatile Characteristics as of 9-MAR-1999 17:37:22
Line = SVA-0
Receive buffers = 10
Controller = normal
Protocol = Ethernet
Service timer = 4000
Hardware address = 08-00-2B-39-7B-64
Device buffer size = 1498
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927