> Tried to boot using the NetBSD FAQ spec of :
> -------------------------------------------------------- snip
> >>> b/100 esa0
>
> Is there a "List Devices" or somesuch? (and I thought OpenBoot was cryptic!)
"ESA0" is what the Ethernet is called on a VS2000 or VS3100. On your
Microvax II it should be XQA0.
Tim.
Arfon Gryffydd <arfonrg(a)texas.net> wrote:
> Back to On-topic... How about the HP2100 emulators... Anyone know how to
> get it to work?
>
> http://oscar.taurus.com/~jeff/2100/index.html
OK, if you go to
http://oscar.taurus.com/~jeff/2100/emulator/index.html
...you will find the sources for the simulator and some other bits.
e21.c is the simulator core. ttyaccess.c is a file lifted from
Doug Jones' PDP-8 simulator. They get compiled and linked together
to make the simulator, e21.
hpasm.c is source for an HP21xx cross-assembler. I haven't done anything
with this.
chkasm.c is source for a program that checks an HP21xx absolute binary
tape to make sure it is OK with its checksums. I haven't done
anything with this either.
Turns out Jeff did most of his development work under MS-DOS, and
I think it probably works best there. I don't know what C compiler
he used for MS-DOS.
For Un*x, there is the file mkunix which contains commands to compile
this stuff. It's not exactly a shell script but may be used as
standard input to a shell.
Building e21 under FreeBSD requires that you remove -DTERMIOS, and you will
then notice that the simulator's prompts are wacky because it puts the tty
>from which it is run into raw mode and leaves it that way. I have some
patches that make it switch the tty back and forth as needed but they
introduce another bug, namely the simulator exits when the simulated 21xx
halts. Oops.
OK, so now supposing you've got it built, go get something else:
http://oscar.taurus.com/~jeff/2100/hpbasic/basic1.abs
That's an absolute paper tape image for a single-user standalone
BASIC interpreter that will work with the simulator.
Now run e21, tell it to LOAD basic1.abs, and then to RUN. Case is
important for the simulator's commands. That should get you running
the standalone BASIC. Fun, huh?
When you get tired of this, type BYE to the BASIC interpreter, and it
should drop you back to the simulator's U2100> command prompt. Q will
exit the simulator.
-Frank McConnell
Zane H. Healy wrote:
>Personally I think that this is the first good news in almost a year. The
>way the situation has been handled so far is criminal. The WOA
>announcements last spring did more towards killing off the Classic Amiga
>market than anything since Commodore's bankrupcy.
I agree that it could have been handled a lot better. I have to sympathise
with Amiga Inc though. It wasn't easy when they split from their OS Partner
around a week before the show. All the hype about the announcement and then
they are forced to abandon half of it, leaving just some vague references to
a superchip, development boxes and a schedule that was impossible to meet.
Personally I think the Amiga has been slowly dying for a number of years.
Admittedly there is not the sense of gloom as in 1996 but the "Classic"
market is gradually shrinking. In the UK, Amiga Format readership has
dropped to just 14,644. However it is hardly doom and gloom; Netscape is
being ported to the Amiga under the name "AMozillaX"; Power Computing are
set to release a revised version of the A5000 that uses the Escona G3
accelerator; and AmigaOS 3.5 screenshots have been shown for the first time
(www.amiga.de).
>Well, basically right, but as Tony pointed out, on the DEC Pro POS is
>actually P/OS, and I can't remember if the Amigoid POS is POS or P-OS, but
>it was to also run on a Pios One :^)
<GAMESHOW HOST>Ooooh, you were so close. It was actually spelt "pOS." Let's
see what you could have won! ;)
>Oh, BLEEP! Any news on the BoXeR? I'd wanted a BoXeR so bad it isn't
>funny, but Mick has been dragging his feet for so long I'm no longer sure.
Mick has a severe case of the flu apparently, so the BoXeR has been delayed.
>I'd thought the Siamese Hardware was ready to go and all that was left was
>the drivers. I'm sure all the people that preordered these love this news.
>I didn't preorder one for two reasons, lack of faith in it being completed,
>and the main reason is there was no mention of Linux support.
As you are on the Team Amiga ML I'm sure you've already got the mail from
the Siamese PCI crew about the current problems with the board so I won't
mention that.
Have you looked on the Siamese website recently? They are moving towards the
Linux market with a new range of cheap Linux-based systems called the TVNC.
It mentions that the Siamese PCI card can be used with these machines so I
presume Linux support has, or will be added.
Hans Franke wrote:
>Don't cary the CP/M flag that low - With 3.0 and GSX CP/M was ready
>as major player in the GUI world ? What's GEM as used on the ATARI ST
>other than a bautified CP/M and GSX based system with an added desktop
>manager ? And I bet nobody will deny that the ST was a major step in
>the GUI war.
Well, it certainly helped many people to use a greener computer. BTW I
noticed a while ago that http://cws86.kyamk.fi/mirrors/cpm/gemworld.html
includes an archive with what they claim is the TOS source code for 68010.
Has anyone tried it?
--
Gareth Knight
Amiga Interactive Guide | ICQ No. 24185856
http://welcome.to/aig | "Shine on your star"
Eric Smith wrote:
> For pages that consist solely of text and line art, scan them as 300 DPI
> TIFF Class F Group 4. That takes only 40-120K per page. I put the
> resulting images into a PDF file, since most people don't have any other
> G4-capable reader, and G4 is supported as a native PDF image format.
> [...]
> Some results of my scanning can be seen at www.36bit.org.
The decsystem-1080/1090 manual is quite readable, and the 136-page 12175kB PDF
file averages out to about 89.5kB/page.
Then,
Sergey Svishchev wrote:
> Example: 39-page A4-size document scanned at 300dpi is 1.5 MB in TIFF
> format (Group 4 Fax compression), 84 MB in Level 1 PostScript (PStill
> does not grok Level 2 PostScript produced by tiff2ps.)
>
> Result: 3.5 MB PDF (could be less, if PStill used CCITTFaxEncoding.)
That comes to about 89.7 kB/page, which agrees with Eric's doc above.
--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Robert Lund | Out here on the perimeter there are no stars +
+ lundo(a)interport.net | Out here we is stoned - Immaculate +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I use some software called TypeMaster Pro, or something very close to that
with an old monochrome legal size scanner with sheetfeeder, namely a
Microtek 300, which I've had for about 10 years. I normally plunked a
manual in the feeder (once the binding was cut off) and scanned all the
odd, then all the even pages. It rejects the pictures, of course, but you
only have to nurse it through the first 10 or so pages, by which time it's
learned the font and punctuations in common use in the manual and can do
the rest more or less by itself. Unfortunately it has to be retrained for
the second pass. What it does is pretty slick, though, in that it looks at
the alignment and actually straightens out a sheet which has been fed
crooked. It can't replace text it didn't see, but it does a pretty good
job. One of my colleagues made a quick machine readable copy of the
State's revised statutes in order to investigate a case in which he was
involved. It required less than half a day for him to do that.
Dick
----------
> From: Jim Strickland <jim(a)calico.litterbox.com>
> To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
<classiccmp(a)u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Scanning old manuals
> Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 4:21 PM
>
> > Last I checked, that was a USD 3,000 camera. Prices may have gone
> > down, however. Note that there's no way anything less than the $10K
> > Hasselblad backs that magazines use for studio work can equal a 600dpi
> > scan.
>
> > Which 35mm film are you using? There are some really nifty Kodak
> > technical films -- Tekpan something or other (4-digit number?) is an
> > ASA 25 black & white film, although you'd need a few hundred dollars
> > of lighting equipment to use it for this application. OTOH, T-Max 125
> > probably delivers more than enough quality for the job. ^_^
>
> Hey, you can save a ton of work scanning and get far better resolution
than
> the average scanner by taking the pictures on 35mm film with a good
closeup
> lense and having Kodak process it on to a photocd. Most graphics
packages
> (ie photodeluxe) can read photocds directly.
> --
> Jim Strickland
> jim(a)DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Vote Meadocrat! Bill and Opus in 2000 - Who ELSE is there?
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
<Ok, so a uVax II can't do a 'test 50' to print out its MAC address, and it
<isn't marked on the card itself. I can't seem to get tcpdump to see
<anything, do I need a sniffer to get this puppy?
<--Chuck
The uVaxII is dumb but not braindead. The console has the ability to
examin, find, deposit to any location and devices are in that list!
So short of pulling the card and read the printing on the PROM you can
do a Examine/Physical/Word/n:5 of the six locations starting at:
>>>E/P/W/n:5 2003FF920, I forget. havent had to do that for years.
If it's wrong, someone correct me it's something I haven't done in 6 years.
The DEQNA and DELQA are identical in the console command and addresses
needed to dump the MAC. If it doesnt' respond it may have a different
address other than the default in the device switches on the card.
Allison
<Nice enough laser printers for their day, but they tend to overheat, if
<memory serves. If you get one, make SURE the fan works. Check. I seem
<to recall we had problems with those on a Vax site I worked on once.
Only if the fans are missing or dead. I was part of that design team and
overheating was never a problem. The most common problem was a printer
designed for an peak use of 5,000 pages a month being used as a line
printer. They get a bit tired and cranky if they werent kept clean and
get over a million pages on them. Inshort they were commonly abused.
Oh, one note... there are about 5 versions of the printer depeinding on the
logic (ansi, enhanced ansi, postscript, postscript/ansi hybrid, video engine
<part of QPSS package>).
Oh the launch date is 1984 and production continued through 90-91 (memory
test).
Allison
On Mar 9, 14:05, Stephen Dauphin wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Pete Turnbull wrote:
>
> > That's not what I'd call "high". That means that on average, you have
to
> > correct or interpret every tenth character. I'd call less than 99%
"low",
> > not high.
> That's not what I meant. I did not study the results closely and so I
> wrote "high 90%" as a disclaimer to mean something like 98, 98.5, 99,
> 99.5, or 99.9. Perhaps I should have used the word "range". It seemed to
> me that I was getting less than 1 to no more than two words per hundred
> that needed correcting and I don't remember any punctuation or numerical
> errors.
Ah, that's a bit different, then :-) What software?
--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Dept. of Computer Science
University of York
Ok, this is bugging me so I'm going to finally ask....
I know what most of the standard abbreviations are (AFAIK, IMHO, BTW,
etc...)
What is IIRC?????? :)
Jay West
>> Leaving them as a scanned image is the easy way out, but isn't always
>> practical. Some pages I have have very small print, and the resolution
>> of the image required to make this text readable makes for huge files.
>
>For pages that consist solely of text and line art, scan them as 300 DPI
>TIFF Class F Group 4. That takes only 40-120K per page. I put the
>resulting images into a PDF file, since most people don't have any other
>G4-capable reader, and G4 is supported as a native PDF image format.
This is what I have been doing.... I gave up on JPG and GIF even though
they are directly supported by the major browsers because the image
quality wasn't there and file sizes were getting out of hand when attempts
were made to preserve image quality.
TIFF on the other hand, works well, and is quite compressable. Pretty
much consigns you to putting them in a PDF though, which isn't all that
evil I suppose.
The one attractive thing we loose by creating 60meg PDF files is the
ability to browse pages without downloading the entire thing....
Or am I missing something in Acrobat that will pull pages on demand
>from a table of contents?
>Some people always flame me about disliking PDF because they can't run
>Acrobat Reader on their Commdore 64, but realisticly I've found that more
>people have access to Acrobat Reader than any other viewer. My attitude
>is that if I spend the time to scan the docs and make them available
>free on my web site, people that don't like it can take a hike.
I have no real problem with PDF. I am just trying to reduce my labor
investment, and produce quality end results.
>I've written a program using PDFlib to automate creating the PDF from a
>directory full of G4 files.
This sounds rather useful... :-)
>For greyscale and color images, I'm working on a process to separate out
>the images, use G4 coding on the monochrome portion of the page, and
>overlay the images in JPEG format. This will also work nicely with
>Acrobat reader, since it can support overlaid images, whereas most other
>viewer software can't.
This will help a lot too....
>Some results of my scanning can be seen at www.36bit.org. Note that
>most of those scans were done *before* I got a sheet feeder. In my
>experience, although there is some skew with the feeder, there is less
>skew than when I do the pages manually, and the skew is more consistent
>from page to page. If I get really motivated I'll write some deskewing
>software.
What scanner are you using? Your scans look pretty good. Did you do
that 500+ page manual by hand or with the sheet feeder? :-)
Right now I have a stock HP Scanjet 4C, but am considering investing
in a ledger-size scanner with a decent sheet feeder so I can archive
not only my manuals, but my printsets as well.
>Eric
Jim