I found a Sony CD-ROM test disc type 2.0 copyright 1987. It's up for
grabs, I'm talking to people who would actually use this to test CD-ROM
drives.
--Max Eskin (max82(a)surfree.com)
On Wednesday, March 10, 1999 3:42 PM, Arfon Gryffydd [SMTP:arfonrg@texas.net] wrote:
> Anyone want an old Eagle II computer? It's been at the local Goodwill
> store for awhile. If someone will save it, I'll get it for them.
>
> Arfon
>
Not familiar with the Eagle II. What is it?
Steve Robertson -<steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
>1. Does VMS 6.2 know about ISO9660 cdroms out of the box?
You know, there is a handy VMS command called HELP:
TIMVAX $HELP MOUNT MOUNT_EXAMPLES
MOUNT
MOUNT_Examples
The following examples describe how to use the Mount utility with
and without operator assistance.
For examples 1 and 2, operator assistance is not required,
assuming the volumes are in the drives. Examples 3 to 6 describe
operator-assisted mounts. Examples 7 and 8 describe mounting ISO
9660 CD-ROM volume sets, example 9 makes subsystems on a volume
accessible, and example 10 demonstrates mounting a shadow set.
[...]
7.$ MOUNT/SYSTEM/MEDIA=CDROM $1$DKA1 USER
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, USER:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (1 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA1: (CDROM)
$ MOUNT/SYSTEM/MEDIA=CDROM $1$DKA2 PROGRAMMING_1
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, PROGRAMMING_1:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (2 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA2: (CDROM)
$ MOUNT/SYSTEM/MEDIA=CDROM $1$DKA3 PROGRAMMING_2
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, PROGRAMMING_2:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (3 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA3: (CDROM)
MOUNT/SYSTEM/MEDIA=CDROM $1$DKA4 MANAGEMENT
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, MANAGEMENT:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (4 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA4: (CDROM)
These commands mount each member of a four-member ISO 9660 volume
set whose volume-set name is VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION.
8.$ MOUNT/SYSTEM/MEDIA=CDROM $1$DKA1,$1$DKA2,$1$DKA3,$1$DKA4
USER,PROGRAMMING_1,PROGRAMMING_2,MANAGEMENT
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, USER:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (1 of 4) , mounted on
_$1$DKA1: (CDROM)
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, PROGRAMMING_1:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (2 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA2: (CDROM)
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, PROGRAMMING_2:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (3 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA3: (CDROM)
%MOUNT-I-CDROM_ISO, MANAGEMENT:VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION (4 of 4) ,
mounted on _$1$DKA4: (CDROM)
This command mounts four members of an ISO 9660 volume set whose
volume set name is VMS_ONLINE_DOCUMENTATION.
>2. When doing a show dev on a VS3100/40, the cdrom drive should show
> up on the device list, right? (I suspect I goofed up the wiring on the
> CDROM case)
Yes, it should, as a "RO" (Read Only) device.
One potential gotcha - your 3100 most likely has the host adapter at ID#6.
So the CD-ROM obviously has to have a different ID.
>3. can someone answer conclusively for me whether the vaxstation expects
> the disk to have parity enabled? The lists I've read don't seem very
> sure.
It absolutely expects parity, though most drives will generate parity on output
and ignore it on input if jumpered for no parity. It also prefers drives that
can be jumpered for 512 bytes/sector (though in some cases it will succesfully
do a MODE SELECT to override a 2048 byte/sector setting.).
--
Tim Shoppa Email: shoppa(a)trailing-edge.com
Trailing Edge Technology WWW: http://www.trailing-edge.com/
7328 Bradley Blvd Voice: 301-767-5917
Bethesda, MD, USA 20817 Fax: 301-767-5927
>
> > On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Russ Blakeman wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone heard of a Hazeltine? Not sure of the model but I have a black
> > > one piece terminal looking unit that I'm curious of the sentimental,
> > > astetic or collector value of this brand of machine. Any input
> > > appreciated and maybe there will be one up for adoption soon.
I believe the one that I have is a Model 1420. I don't have it in front of
me so, I could be wrong about the model. It's just a plain black, one
piece, dumb terminal. Nothing special.
The most curious thing about it is the location of the DIP switches. They
are under a removable cover above the keyboard. It makes it convenient if
you are trying to talk to a system and aren't sure of the comm parameters.
I do have a set of manuals. If you have any questions about settings or
emulations, I'll look them up for you.
I don't think there are *that* many around so, I'm gonna keep mine.
Steve Robertson - <steverob(a)hotoffice.com>
Hi all,
Somebody offered me this two pieces "cheap". Anybody on the list knows what
exactly they are ? Which Processor they use ? Operating systems ?
Pointer to any documentation ?
thanks a lot & sorry, if being off topic (but the price let me think that
they are old enough).
emanuel
>Anyone heard of a Hazeltine? Not sure of the model but I have a black
>one piece terminal looking unit that I'm curious of the sentimental,
>astetic or collector value of this brand of machine. Any input
>appreciated and maybe there will be one up for adoption soon.
Sure - Hazeltines in general but specifically the model 1500 were a
"standard" of sorts for terminals long ago.
I'd give it a home if no one else has an interest. It's not particularly
rare at all, but has a sentimental value to probably most on the list here.
If someone else here winds up getting it - keep in mind that I have a
genuine hazeltine1500 manual if anyone needs it.
Jay West
> >On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Mike Ford wrote:
> >
> >> Can you tell me much about the AC adapter? (why is it the adapter always
> >> gets lost. I didn't get one with the PowerBook 5300CS I bought last
> >> Saturday either.) I wonder if a generic adapter will be OK to use?
i used an a/c adaptor from my atari 2600 on my epson, and worked fine. I think
the milliamp rating was off a little, but it did charge the computer's battery
for a few minutes.
david
Does anyone recall when version control tools became available on IBM
mainframe OSs?
--
David Wollmann
DST / DST Data Conversion
http://www.ibmhelp.com/
ICQ: 10742063
>My source came through again. Today I picked up what is supposed to be a
>PDP-11/03. Can anyone point me to a good URL to identify the cards in it
>and provide some general info. I don't know anything about PDP-11s.
Try the pdp-11 Field Guide...
There is a copy I've been working on which you can find through a link
on my home_systems page... that text file will have the pointer to the
official version...
Megan Gentry
Former RT-11 Developer
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '@' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |
+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
OK, I've been soft brained lately. I do have a copy of the articles May,
June and july 1976 (Last one is incomplete:(.
If there is enough interest I can try to scan all I have and post it
somewhere (I'm running low on web space so it might have to be somewhere
else..). It's about ten double sided pages (I can renove the adds from the
scans)
My Dyna Micro came without any chips, they apparently have ben canibalized
is there any way that I can obtain a 1702 with KEX???
Also if anyone has the July 1976 of Radio Electronics, the end of the
article is at page 85, I'd love to get a scan of that...
Thanks
Francois