actually yes, that is a great book for 1960's computers. I learned a lot
from that book, and used it to decipher the LGP-30 Friden text encoding
system, which is not ASCII, to generate a drum storage bootstrap program.
Makes you think Gordon Bell is a wizard if you did not already think that.
b
On Wed, Sep 30, 2026 at 4:08 PM Paul McJones via cctalk <
cctalk(a)classiccmp.org> wrote:
By the way, on
the subject of good books, Bell & Newell, "Computer
structures: readings and examples" is very good. It categorizes computers
a number of different ways, and covers a range of examples touching on most
of the categories. The Google search mentions an authorized online copy at
Gordon Bell's website:
https://gordonbell.azurewebsites.net/cgb%20files/computer%20structures%20re…
And here is the table of contents:
https://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/bell-71-t-o-c.html
Apparently there is a second edition. I'm pretty sure I have the first
edition.
The second edition is:
Computer Structures: Principles and Examples by Siewiorek, Bell, and
Newell (1982). Gordon Bell uploaded it to:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264785666_Computer_Structures_Prin…