Not quite computer tech but I figure this is the best place to ask:
Does anyone recognize the display tech that was used on the Concorde's in-cabin display?
Examples:
https://samchui.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CON15.jpghttps://samchui.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/CON16.jpg
The display had fully-formed digits and letters, and showed either Mach and Feet, or Temp and MPH. Some pictures show the display in green and others show it in orange - which of course were popular monochrome CRT colors, yet the display looks too "flat" to be a couple CRT's. Those colors were also popular for Electroluminiscent displays which matches the evident "flatness" but I'm not sure I've seen any EL's with fully formed digits like this with no visible segmentation?
I want to guess it was individual digits back-projected - which was a popular control-theater display tech at the end of the 20th century - but I can't rule out, say, really well-done edge-lit character plates. In any event there doesn't seem to be any visible jitter up and down between digits that I might expect with either of those technologies.
The "FEET" display in the above-referenced JPG's shows some artifacts at the left and right edges which might be a clue?
Some pics of the BA Concorde interior had a simple 15-segment and 7-segment green LED display. Don't need help with that one 🙂.
Tim N3QE
I'm looking for someone near Glasnevin near Dublin, Ireland who would be
willing to pick up an item for me and ship it to me State-side. Seller
will not ship.
Thank you in advance.
Sellam
Hi,
I am looking for a CH3s QH50, P/N 63F3825 for a 9221 ES/9000.
A CH1s would also do.
Anyone have an ES/9000 that is a brick because no processor console
that can help me out?
Regards,
Kevin
The recent Ebay auction for the original PDP-8 got my attention because one
of the photos (the processor logic flipchip array) is a nice snapshot for
comparison purposes with the system I am working on.
https://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp-8/PDP-8_flip-chips_left.png (mine)
https://vintagecomputer.net/temp/EBAYPDP-8ProcessorFlipchips.jpg
Given my PDP-8 is close to working, I would assume that the Ebay PDP-8
would have a fighting chance, at least as far as the flip chip
configuration goes. This is also a nice confirmation that I more or less
have the flipchips in the right places. There are only a few slight
differences.
Bill
Hi all,
Looking for an original Sun 370-2068, which is a PS2 to Sun keyboard adapter. If anyone has one please DM me, happy to pay a reasonable price & international shipping if needed.
Thanks!
«
Everything I know about floppy disks
2023-08-28
Floppy disk drives are curious things. We know them as the slots that
ingest those small almost-square plastic "floppy disks" and we only
really see them now in Computer Museums. But there's a lot going on in
that humble square of plastic and I wanted to write down what I've
learned so far.
»
https://thejpster.org.uk/blog/blog-2023-08-28/
--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven(a)cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven(a)gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
IoM: +44 7624 227612 ~ UK: +44 7939-087884
ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053
Anyone in Sheffield UK? There is an Acorn Archemedies computer I am
interested in buying but the guy is collection only. I am in the USA, but
interested in buying and repairing the system.
- Ethan