The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 08:08:16 CDT 2022

On 5/11/22 07:11, Bill Degnan wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2022, 6:24 AM Bill Gunshannon via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/10/22 22:33, Fred Cisin wrote:
>      > On Tue, 10 May 2022, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>      >> DDensity.  I thought there was a single command to make the system
>      >> part and then you just added the Utilities you wanted.
>      >
>      >
>      > Was it SYSGEN?
>
>     As near as I can tell SYSGEN only modifies a file (or two) but
>     does not copy any files to a new location.
>

> Each OS has its own process.  PIP to copy the rest of the files if
> you're using CP/M
>
> Trsdos 6. (I think)
> FORMAT :0
> BACKUP $:x :1 (SYS,INV)
>
> Where x is your hard drive letter.
>
> Depends how much is on your hard drive.  If possible use a floppy to
> make a boot disk, less variables to manage.  I have a model 4p with hard
> drive at the shop but the floppy disk drive needs to be replaced

Tried it on LS-DOS 6.3.1.  Was surprised it worked at all as I
am used to BACKUP complaining that SOURCE and DESTINATION are
not the same format.

In any event, it ran till it filled  up the disk and then asked
another disk.  Not sure what it would do with another disk but
in any event, the first disk is not bootable.  So my search
continues. Maybe I'll try doing it again and actually give it
another disk.  Maybe it doesn't write the boot track until the
last thing.

Still think there should be a documented method for doing this.

bill