The TRS-80 Journey Continues

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed May 11 08:32:54 CDT 2022

> > Each OS has its own process.  PIP to copy the rest of the files if
> > you're using CP/M
> >
> > Trsdos 6. (I think)
> > FORMAT :0
> > BACKUP $:x :1 (SYS,INV)
> >
> > Where x is your hard drive letter.
> >
> > Depends how much is on your hard drive.  If possible use a floppy to
> > make a boot disk, less variables to manage.  I have a model 4p with hard
> > drive at the shop but the floppy disk drive needs to be replaced
>
> Tried it on LS-DOS 6.3.1.  Was surprised it worked at all as I
> am used to BACKUP complaining that SOURCE and DESTINATION are
> not the same format.
>
> In any event, it ran till it filled  up the disk and then asked
> another disk.  Not sure what it would do with another disk but
> in any event, the first disk is not bootable.  So my search
> continues. Maybe I'll try doing it again and actually give it
> another disk.  Maybe it doesn't write the boot track until the
> last thing.
>
> Still think there should be a documented method for doing this.
>
> bill

I looked it up, BACKUP is only for like disks, sorry I thought it
might work. :-)

You could try clearning your hard drive, installing only the contents
of a single boot disk and then backing that up to disk using the
method I suggested.  That *might* work, but you'd have to re-build
your hard drive again.

So