LSSM is chasing this, was Re: General Data? Computer Equipment Auction - GSA

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 17 13:03:47 CDT 2022

On 3/17/22 13:56, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> I interpreted "disappear into the black hole of a private collection"
>> as meaning "regrettably unavailable for viewing and/or use by anyone
>> but the collector".  This has nothing to do with how well the systems
>> are preserved.
>> And while the particular choice of words may be somewhat inflammatory
>> (although not to me), I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.
>
> Private collector of computers, older video game stuff, pinball
> machines, synth/music toys and now dabbling into 35mm stuff. A few
> friends in this space.
>
> Our stuff is ALWAYS going out and getting played with. From the
> Smithsonian (SAAM events) to MAGFest events to Vintage Computer Festival
> events (Remember, most of those systems on display for play are from
> private collectors there to share!), to events that happened in Norfolk
> VA and Chesapeake VA. Some of my stuff will probably be at the upcoming
> event in Philly (Too many games.)

   This is absolutely fantastic, but it's very much the exception rather
than the rule, especially where big iron is concerned, which is the
context here.

   Anything could happen, but I doubt we'll see those two DG Novas at
any festivals.

> I mean what is a museum really? What about low attendence museums versus
> private collections that serve tons of people? Aren't museums private
> collections too?

   In LSSM's case, it's a wholly-occupied 14,000 square foot commercial
storefront building that nobody lives in, in a downtown shopping
district, as distinguished from the typical private collection in a
garage, basement, etc.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ