LSSM is chasing this, was Re: General Data? Computer Equipment Auction - GSA

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Thu Mar 17 12:56:00 CDT 2022

> I interpreted "disappear into the black hole of a private collection" as
> meaning "regrettably unavailable for viewing and/or use by anyone but the
> collector".  This has nothing to do with how well the systems are preserved.
> And while the particular choice of words may be somewhat inflammatory
> (although not to me), I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.

Private collector of computers, older video game stuff, pinball machines,
synth/music toys and now dabbling into 35mm stuff. A few friends in this
space.

Our stuff is ALWAYS going out and getting played with. From the
Smithsonian (SAAM events) to MAGFest events to Vintage Computer Festival
events (Remember, most of those systems on display for play are from
private collectors there to share!), to events that happened in Norfolk VA
and Chesapeake VA. Some of my stuff will probably be at the upcoming event
in Philly (Too many games.)

I mean what is a museum really? What about low attendence museums versus
private collections that serve tons of people? Aren't museums private
collections too?

 		- Ethan

--
: Ethan O'Toole