Terminal Emulator for Android

Angel M Alganza ama at ugr.es
Sun Oct 31 21:27:09 CDT 2021

Hello, Douglas:

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021 at 04:06:53PM -0400, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:

>I would like to use my tablet, Samsung Tab E model SM-T560NU, to
>connect to my VAX and Linux computers.  There seem to be a large
>number of 'Apps' out there.  What is a good one to use?

Have a look at Termux, I use it to access all my old (and new) systems.

Enjoy it!  :-)

Cheers,
Ángel

https://termux.com/

       Termux is an Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app
       that works directly with no rooting or setup required. A minimal
       base system is installed automatically - additional packages are
       available using the APT package manager.

       Secure. Access remote servers using the ssh client from OpenSSH.
       Termux combines standard packages with accurate terminal emulation
       in a beautiful open source solution.

       Feature packed. Take your pick between Bash, fish or Zsh and nano,
       Emacs or Vim. Grep through your SMS inbox. Access API endpoints
       with curl and use rsync to store backups of your contact list on a
       remote server.

       Customizable. Install what you want through the APT package
       management system known from Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Why not
       start with installing Git and syncing your dotfiles?

       Explorable. Have you ever sat on a bus and wondered exactly which
       arguments tar accepts? Packages available in Termux are the same
       as those on Mac and Linux - install man pages on your phone and
       read them in one session while experimenting with them in another.

       With batteries included. Can you imagine a more powerful yet
       elegant pocket calculator than a readline-powered Python console?
       Up-to-date versions of Perl, Python, Ruby and Node.js are all
       available.

       Ready to scale up. Connect a Bluetooth keyboard and hook up your
       device to an external display if you need to - Termux supports
       keyboard shortcuts and has full mouse support.

       Tinkerable. Develop by compiling Go, Rust, Swift, or C files with
       Clang and build your own projects with CMake and pkg-config. Both
       lldb/GDB and strace are available if you get stuck and need to
       debug.