Terminal Emulator for Android

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Oct 31 16:12:22 CDT 2021

On 10/31/21 2:06 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> I would like to use my tablet ... to connect to my VAX and Linux
> computers.

That sounds reasonable enough to me.  I dislike tablet keyboards for
interactive use, but to each their own.

> There seem to be a large number of 'Apps' out there.  What is a good
> one to use?

I don't know what to recommend for Android.  I think the app that I used
a long time ago on iDevices has been discontinued.  :-(

> The VAX doesn't have SSH only insecure TELNET.

As others have indicated, use another device that's connected to the
(protected ~> isolated LAN ~> cross over cable) VAX and the rest of your
network.  SSH to that device and connect to the VAX from there.

I just tried the following trick with SSH as a one step process and it
seemed to work fairly well for me.

    ssh -W <VAX host>:23 <bastion host>

This causes SSH to initiate a secure connection to <bastion host> and
forward the raw connection (which is otherwise protected by SSH's
wrapping) to <VAX host>:23.  So you run an ssh command and get what
looks almost identical to the result of a telnet command.

If your ssh client or server doesn't support -W <host>:<port> -- forward
standard input and output on the client be forwarded to <port> on <host>
-- then you can do the same type of thing by sshing to the host normally
and running a netcat command; e.g. nc <host>:<port>.

There is also a possibility that your telnet client supports TLS
protected telnet to the <bastion host> which removes the TLS protection
and forwards the unprotected traffic to the VAX.

I'll only tip my hat to other more esoteric things that fall into the
broad category of VPN.

I'd try the ssh -W <VAX host>:23 <bastion host> first.

> Another can of worms, SSH on the Vax?

Oy vey!  I'm not touching that.  I don't know nearly enough.  That looks
like Mount Everest to me from my  place of ignorance.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die