Overclocked TI Silent 703 at 1200 bauds?

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Sat Oct 30 00:01:21 CDT 2021

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:35:50 -0700
CuriousMarc via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I recently acquired a TI Silent 703 on ePay and just fired up. It
> worked right away. But I expected it to work at 300 bauds as
> advertised, and to my surprise, it clocked at a the head turning
> speed of 1200 bauds! Did they hot-rod it later in its product life?
> It says MODEL 703 at the back, part no. 2310503-0010. I did not open
> it up yet.  Is this a hardware mod? Is there an internal switch that
> can toggle it between 300 and 1200?
>
> Marc

I'm drawing a blank on that PN. I'm scanning in the 1985 TI Express
Catalog right now and it only lists the 2310503-0001. I think there is
an int'l version -0003.  Even if the serial port would work at 1200,
though, the printhead only does 45 cps. Pic of a supposed -0010 on
Worthpoint, but I don't subscribe for details or confirmation.
However, it would have to have something like the 2 char thermal
printhead in the 780 series to print without buffering at 1200 baud, I
would think. Dig some more in daylight.

jbdigriz