Programming Bipolar PROMs (Tom Hunter)

mark at markesystems.com mark at markesystems.com
Wed Oct 27 14:27:36 CDT 2021

Hello,

It's been a few years since I built that programmer for the K155PE3 chips,
and it took a bit of tinkering to get it to work.  When I finally found the
missing piece (I don't remember exactly what it was, but as I remember it
was sort of a "Doh!" moment...), I probably didn't go back and optimize the
algorithm, since it now accomplished what I needed.

I based my algorithm on a blend of the manual programmer circuits that are
floating around on the web; all of these involved setting up and address and
a single *bit* (not byte) to burn, then pushing a button for half a second
or so.  I just automated that process with an 8051 and a bunch of transistor
drivers.

Now that it's working, if I felt so inclined, I could very likely go back
and trim down the burn times - I recently found an excerpt from a National
databook that indicates several repeated 10 uSec bursts per bit.  That would
certainly speed things up quite a lot, but again, it now works for what I
need, so I probably won't go back and change anything.  This could explain
why I see about a 5% failure rate when burning PROMs, though.
~~
Mark Moulding