[Cadetwriter] Announcements

Dave Babcock dave at babcock-family.org
Sun Nov 10 22:44:32 CST 2019

To all,

The Computer History Museum's IBM 1620 Jr. project team has several
announcements about Cadetwriter:

1)  Congratulations to Paul Williamson as the first person, besides our
project team, to successfully build his own Cadetwriter.  We know that a
number of people are building or planning to build one, but Paul is the
first person we've heard from that has completed it.

     If you are building, or planning to build, a Cadetwriter, please
let us know about it.

     Paul's WheelWriter 1000 seems to have a different version of the
logic board and/or its firmware than the CHM WheelWriters. This exposed
several issues that Paul diagnosed which led to changes in the
Cadetwriter firmware that make it more robust.

2)  A new version (5R5) of the firmware is available with these
important changes:
     -  Added support for semi-automatic paper loading.
     -  Increased the Interrupt Service Routine delay time to deal with
overlapping column scans.
     -  Adjusted the timing of unshifted, shifted, and code characters.

     This firmware is available at: https://github.com/IBM-1620/Cadetwriter

3)  There is a new Cadetwriter message board at:
https://cadetwriter.slack.com

     There are actually 5 channels available:
     -  Cadetwriter/announcements - for announcements of new versions of
the firmware, documentation, hardware, etc.
     -  Cadetwriter/description - for a general description of
Cadetwriter and links to resources.
     -  Cadetwriter/building - a discussion forum for those building a
Cadetwriter.
     -  Cadetwriter/operating - a discussion forum for those using a
Cadetwriter.
     -  Cadetwriter/suggestions - a discussion forum for proposed
additions/changes to Cadetwriter.

     If you have interest in Cadetwriter, please register and
participate in the discussion.

Thanks,
IBM 1620 Jr. Team