Not DEC related but still hoping for some help: Problems w/ LJ 4+ Printer

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Apr 3 10:44:59 CDT 2019

On 04/03/2019 03:24 AM, Ali via cctalk wrote:
>> Is the fuser roller warming up properly?  Or, is it the
>> corona supply is having trouble coming up to voltage?  You
>> should pull the bottom of the printer apart and thoroughly
>> clean the PC board on both sides.  If you have never done
>> this, it will be a HUGE BLACK MESS with spilled toner dust -
>> don't ask how I know this!
>
> Jon,
>
> Based on the info coming through on the list a "cold" fuser would produce
> toner that would wipe off/flake off of the printed sheet. This is not
> happening in my case so I am guessing the fuser is getting hot "enough".
OK, sounds right.
> The
> current hive thinking seems to be toward the corona wire - specifically
> failing caps in HV needing time to warm up to specs before working properly.

First, since you have not checked with another cartridge, is
to examine the corona wires and/or "combs" on the cart.
Sometimes the wires break at one end.  Also, toner spills
could short it out, I've had that before.  Bent contacts on
the cart where it connects the HV to the printer could also
be making bad/no contact.

But, the caps could be it, the symptom where it starts
working after warming up does indicate weak caps.

Jon