GoTEK SFR1M44-U100...

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 17:40:20 CDT 2018

>>On 07/14/2018 02:43 PM, Adrian Graham via cctalk wrote:

> I love them, I see FlashFloppy has also been mentioned which is also
> excellent. Keir Fraser (flashfloppy) is constantly updating it to add new
> support for formats suggested by folk either on the facebook group or on
> the github repository. It will support a lot of image formats natively and
> can be configured as IBM or Shugart interface though only as DS0 or DS1.
>

>*nod*

>I really like that FlashFloppy will allow the same single device to
support both 1.44 MB and 720 kB floppies.

>Aside:  I've got to say, I've never really messed with the various numbers
associated with floppy drives, but the 1536 really surprised me.

>I apparently have a lot of history to learn at some point.

Since I got my first Gotek last year I've learned more about floppy drives
and disks than I ever thought would be neccesary but there's SO many
different formats out there that I never knew about. In the 80s my exposure
to floppies was all DEC so I knew about hard/soft sectored drives and that
RX50s had to be read in an RX50 drive. PC wise it was all IBM-related so a
disk from one machine would work in another (alignment issues
notwithstanding). I'd used CP/M at school but assumed all CP/M machines
used the same disk format. Wrong!

Fortunately I still find learning fun :)

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest home computer collection?