PDP-6s at MIT

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Thu Dec 15 12:35:59 CST 2016

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> I don't know about the software run on the two PDP-6's - by the time I
> arrived at MIT, they were both powered off and never, as far as I
> know, ever ran again. I would _assume_ that it ran ITS.

Yet it's very rare to see references to it, and never (as far as I know)
in the context of ITS.

Pure speculation, but I suppose that since the DynaMod group got their
10 shortly after the 6, they may have focused on getting the 10 up and
running.  Maybe they didn't bother to make the 6 run in timesharing mode.

> The DM PDP-6 was part of the DM KA 'assembly' - DM was in two rows
> (front and back) to the right of the right-hand door from the lobby
> into the machine room. IIRC, the PDP-6 was in the front row, to the
> right? of the KA CPU.

Thank you very much!  It great to have such a detailed description of
the DM PDP-6.