Looking for WWENG2.SYS for DECserver 900TM

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Fri Dec 5 17:28:07 CST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 06:50:35PM -0000, Robert Jarratt wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to extract one of these from the flash card?
> >
> > I've got a 900TM booting from flash with version 2.4 WWENG2.SYS on the
> card,
> > but I can't figure out how to copy it off the card for another 900TM.
> >
> > I obtained a second 900TM that didn't have a card included. I won a
> "Mitsubishi
> > Melcard 2MB F·E²PROM MEMORY Card MF82M1-77DAT01" on e-bay, which is
> > identical to what DEC provided, and successfully booted and loaded
> wweng2.sys
> > version 2.2, which I believe is the 1646592 byte version supervinx also
> has.
> >
> > My 900TM with 2.4 works better than the other one booting 2.2. If anyone
> has
> > any info on reading WWENG2.SYS 2.4 off my working unit, please let me
> know.
> >

> I tried looking for one of these cards on Ebay in the UK and drew a blank. I
> tried a few alternative searches too, but still got nowhere. Is there
> anything else I could look for that would do the same thing? If so, how do
> you get the software onto the card?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

I found some discussion of card compatibility here:

  http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2004-10/1901.html

You should be able to hit CTRL-B a couple times on the first serial
port during power up to get to a ">>>" prompt, then do something
like this:

        >>>  INIT FROM ETHER IMAGE WWENG2 UPDATE FLASH DELAY 0

I had some trouble getting to the ">>>" prompt successfully, but
once there, had no trouble netbooting and updating the flash.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com), KC3DRE