Racking a PDP-11/24

pbirkel at gmail.com pbirkel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 14:21:50 CST 2022

A top-mount corporate cabinet looks like this:
http://www.cosam.org/images/pdp11-23/front2.jpg  The "DECDatasystem"
front-bar in the photo is over the 1U strengthener that braces the upper
portion of the rack ... since there is no brace at the top (as yours has).
Your cabinet will work fine; in my experience RL02's are always tight and
fiddly any place but the top-spot.

The "play" is because those immense-head screws are the pivot-points that
allow the chassis to be pivoted up 90 degrees (when the slides are extended)
in order to more easily access the underside of the backplane.  They are
intentionally slightly loose in order for the pivot to work.  You really
don't need, or want, to play with those screws.