Racking a PDP-11/24

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 26 14:04:07 CST 2022

Thank you for the reply.

I saw something somewhere that suggested the RL02 should be at the top with
the disk accessible without pulling out the drive. I don't think the cabinet
I have was intended to do that, but I will have a closer look.

> AFAIK you should be able to make your rack plan work; it's just the case
that
> RL02 are always "top snug" (at least in my experience).  Have you tried
raising
> the 6U CPU as high as possible *before* tightening the bolts/screws on the
> mounting flanges on the slides (to the rack, not to the chassis)?
> There's usually ~1/8" of play there.  From your photo perhaps you have
> already done that as the CPU-front looks to be snug to the rack-top.  If
> anything it looks as if your RL02 instead need to move down.

I did try raising the CPU as high as possible. Will have another look to see
if the RL02s can be dropped a bit lower, but I don't think they can go lower
in terms of using lower slots, not unless I want to leave a gap and possible
interfere with the space at the bottom where there will be some cables I
think. I would like to avoid filing though!

> I would start by moving the bottom RL02 down as far as possible, then
repeat
> with the second RL02.
>
> Your observation that there is "very little clearance between the CPU and
the
> RL02 at the front but more at the back" suggests to me that you need to
> fiddle move with the front and /or rear mounting flange positioning on the
> various slides.  Don't assume that wherever "gravity drops them" is going
> be correct.
>
> If none of the suggested adjustments are working then I would consider
> getting out a rat-tail file and enlarging the slots on the mounting
flanges on
> the RL02 slides so as to let them drop a little lower (assuming that you
have
> clearance at the bottom!).
>
> Regardless you shouldn't need to play with the slide-to-chassis attachment
> points -- those are always "just so" and not really free to fiddle with
(no
> "slop").

There *is* a bit of play in the big black sheet that is screwed onto CPU
enclosure.