More VT52 HV

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Mon Feb 21 01:42:59 CST 2022

So, having pulled the CRT now , I was surprised to see that the ground braids seem to be held against the aquadag by only the pressure from a couple foam blocks!   In my unit these aged foams are deformed and brittle.  This would seem a good thing to add to the check list for looking at these…

I wonder if this explains why many of these I encountered back in the day in university terminal rooms and such were suffering from HV “snaps”?  I had always assumed it was just dust / grime / spilled cokes… :-)

Also, after a closer look, I’m surmising the red goo around the anode cap to be dielectric grease put there on purpose, and not degradation of the cap itself.

	—FritzM.