Found my favorite DOS editor

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 11:16:42 CDT 2021

On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 23:55, Mike Katz via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Fred Cisin said "'course, then there are the MAJOR religious battles.
> Such as VI VS EMACS."
>
> I cannot agree more.  I know many people who live in VI thought I cannot
> fathom why.

I worked at Red Hat briefly and SUSE for more than anywhere else in my
career. I know Vi fans in their 20s, people born well after I first
used it and disliked it on SCO Xenix.

I didn't fall in love with my first editor (probably the full-screen
BASIC editor on the Commodore PET), or with Sinclair BASIC's (which
was pretty horrible but Beta BASIC made it better:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_BASIC
)

And the SAM Coupé's BASIC -- written by the same chap -- was much more
pleasant as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAM_Coup%C3%A9

But really nothing to love. Then I learned VAX/VMS at Uni and I didn't
love EDT, although later I learned Edlin on DOS in my first job, and
that made me miss EDT very badly.

I think it was probably only when DR-DOS and MS-DOS 5+ included decent
full-screen CUA editors that I actually found ones I _liked_ using.

Which is why I want to properly CUA-ify Emacs -- and *no* cua-mode is
_not_ an acceptable answer -- but dear hypothetical deities, the
resistance from the Emacs fans... yeesh.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven • Skype: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702-829-053