Linux and the 'clssic' computing world

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Sep 27 16:30:56 CDT 2021

On Sep 27, 2021, at 2:15 PM, Nemo Nusquam via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 2021-09-27 10:07, Joshua Rice via cctalk wrote (in part):
>>
>> However, much of the "Linux" software is in fact POSIX software, and can quite easily be ported between Linux and other *NIX-likes, such as Solaris, macOS and the *BSD family.
>
> I cannot agree.  Many developers ensure that their software runs under their particular distribution and then call it POSIX. Porting to UNIX systems, such as Solaris or macOS, can be difficult and tedious.  (Of course, this is not a Linux issue.)
>
> N.

This also sums up nicely what is Linux’s greatest failing.  Software vendors need “Linux”, and what they get is “Red Hat”, “SLES”, “Ubuntu”, etc. and as a result, the users suffer.  This is why most commercial apps target MacOS and Windows, or more often than not, just Windows.

One vendor I work with is looking at supporting something in Linux, the problem being, they have to re-implement it for each distro.  That’s just one of the issues they face it supporting Linux.

Zane