Setting up a VMS system

Scott Quinn compoobah at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 07:32:34 CDT 2021

On Fri, 2021-09-24 at 12:00 -0500, cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
> > supported by any release licensed by VSI, and they changed the
> > PRODUCER
> > key so you can't use those PAKs on DEC/CPQ/HP variants of VMS.
>
> Part of their licensing agreement with HPE which prohibits them from
> selling/licensing any previous version of OpenVMS that they haven't
> worked on.
>
> > HP stopped issuing new hobbyist PAKs back very early in 2020. I put
> > in
> > for a renew March or so and never got it. They were so
> > disinterested in
> > the program that they didn't mention stopping it, so I guess it
> > isn't
> > surprising that the page is still up.
>
> If it's a VAX PAK you need, contact me and I can send you a copy of
> the last VAX OpenVMS Hobbyist PAK sent out.? Note that it expires on
> 1-JAN-2022 so it's good only for a few more months.

Yeah, would have been nice if they would have handed it off to Montegar
again for VAX/early Alpha with the understanding that (a) it would be
the same restrictions that DEC/CPQ/HP had and (b) they weren't bugged
about it ever again. Sigh. Fits into the HP model of "buy and bury" I
guess. At least VAX has other options.

Anyone succeeded in patching the DCL security hole for VAX? I know it
wasn't officially fixed.