DEC KM11 (Was: DEC KL11)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 12:45:56 CDT 2021

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> So I can't say whether they are 18 bit compatible.
>
> Huh? The KM11 doesn't plug into the UNIBUS (or QBUS); it's a MASSBUS device (a
> solid-state storage device, actually), so it plugs into an RH11 or RH70 or
> something like that. (I should work with the VAX MASSBUS controller, too.)
> So the question 'is it 18 bit compatible' makes no sense.

The addressing wouldn't be a question because the Massbus controller handles that.  But the sector format is a different matter.  If it's designed for PDP-11 and friends, presumably it has a 512 byte sector size.  For PDP-10 or -20 use you'd presumably want a sector size consisting of some round number of 36 bit words.

	paul