Setting up a VMS system

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Wed Sep 22 11:33:21 CDT 2021

On Sep 22, 2021, at 5:21 AM, Philip Pemberton via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hopefully a few of the DEC/VMS fans here might be able to help!
>
> I'm on a bit of a quest. I've been given some old VAX/VMS software -- a cross compiler and some source code -- that I'd like to get running. My goal is to get the source code building and experiment with the compiler a bit.

Out of curiosity, what’s the VAX/VMS software you’re trying to run, and what version of VAX/VMS was it intended to run on?  Does it have any version requirements with the OS?

> Problem is that I've never used VMS before, and don't have a clue how to install or use it.
>
> Can any point me to an idiot's guide to VMS, how to set it up and make it possible to send files to it from my Linux box?

Are you simply looking for Web resources, or are you interested in books?  The v5.x System Managers Guide and Users Guide are probably two of my favorite books, even when running 8.x, I tend to reach for the v5.x System Managers Guide first.

> I'm thinking of using SIMH, unless there's a better emulator available.

SIMH is the best option.  Better emulators cost $$$’s.

> I'm still waiting on a reply from HP with a hobbyist licence PAK (I've filled out the form), but I figure I can get started on the learning while I wait.

That’s the problem, HP already sent out the last set of Hobbyist PAK’s.

Zane