More cleaning out the Bob basement

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sun Sep 19 20:54:39 CDT 2021

On Sep 19, 2021, at 2:13 PM, Mike Katz via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I'm sorry if I made a bad joke.  Please understand this was all tongue in cheek.
>
> As for plans, I had a massive heart attack in June and nearly died.   8 stents and a pacemaker later I am alive and kicking.
>
> My suggestion's are:
>
> Make a will.
> Put all of your real estate and investments in a trust with you and your wife (and possibly your next of kin) to avoid inheritance tax (I am no lawyer, so contact a lawyer on how to do this)
> Make sure there is a list of all bank account and credit card numbers some where where both of you can access it (a safety deposit box or home safe comes to mind).
> I would suggest that all of your passwords are kept in a password manager that both of you have access to or encrypted somewhere with a password you both know.
> In case you both were to die together, make sure your next of kin knows how to find or access the above information.
> If you have special requests for disposition of your property after you die, state it in your will or make a list and put it in the safety deposit box mentioned above.
>
> These are some of the things my wonderful wife and I did after my heat attack.
>
> Please forgive the morbid nature of this but my perspective has changed since the heart attack.

This is a very, very important point.  At the start of Covid, I lost a very good friend to a heart attack.  He was an incredibly knowledgable professional photographer.  With a studio larger than most houses, and an insane amount of gear (including drum scanners).  From what little I know, the story doesn’t have a happy ending.

Both my wife and our eldest have a pretty good idea on the books, as well as the camera gear.  They have less of an idea on the Classic Computer equipment, though I know they know it’s not worthless.  They might have a better idea on the Video Games than me.

Zane