LK201 emulator for PS-2 keyboard

Jonathan Stone kiwi_jonathan at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 14:04:05 CDT 2021

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 10:12:15 AM PDT, Antonio Carlini via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

On 12/05/2021 17:53, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> The normal mouse specs are in VCB02 Video Subsystem Technical Manual,
> EK-104AA-TM-001 (appendix C).
>
>The LK201 is in there too.

It's possibly in the VCB01 docs;. Decades ago in New Zealand I had a Vaxstation II/RC with QVSS.
The kernel, user-mapped producer/consumer ringbuffer code with hardware-to-X-event is the same for both.
On NetBSD, probably microvax 3x00 and DECstation/turbochannelAlpha, too. I know I'used both two-roller and one-ball "puck" mice on a mix while in grad school.

>I think I have one of those mice with the non-round connector, but I
>also have a MIPS DECstation that I now suspect needs it :-)

The Personal Decstation (5000 /20, /25, /33, and /50) need an "access.bus" mouse, 8-pin but with latches on the side. flatter than RJ-45. VSXXX-BB? All other DECstations use the same round mini-DIN as QVSS/QDSS, via the 15-pin to MMJ/mini-DIN cable.

Oddly enough I saw a PS2 keyboard-and-mouse to LK201/VSXXX adapter for sale on eBay, but it's US $350 or thereabouts.