LK201 emulator for PS-2 keyboard

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue May 11 14:22:51 CDT 2021

> On May 11, 2021, at 3:17 PM, Jonathan Stone <kiwi_jonathan at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 10:49:05 AM PDT, Paul Koning via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> > Last year I created an LK201 keyboard emulator that uses a USB keyboard.
>
> Just curious; have you thought of adding VSXXX-?? mouse emulation, using input from either USB or PS/2 mouse?
> With a mini-DIN output? These are becoming hard to find (aside perhaps from our Australian member who mentions having them by the kg).

No, I don't have anything that would use such a device.

It's probably easy enough to do.  The USB keyboard emulator is a device that has a USB host connector that accepts a keyboard, and an RS232 output to connect to the terminal.  If you have some other device to emulate where the new hardware is USB (like a mouse) and the DEC side is a UART, it would be a matter of new software plus perhaps a different connector.  One big question would be the need to dig up the protocols at the two ends.  The LK201 protocol is spelled out in great detail in the Pro technical manual; if you can find the mouse protocol documentation then it's just SMOP.

By all means feel free to grab the design and fork it to do what you want.  As I said, I'm not likely to do it myself given the lack of anything to try it on.

	paul