DEC Pro 3xx archives

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 22 10:09:00 CST 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 8:32 AM Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> > On Jan 21, 2021, at 11:20 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Paul...
> >
> > This is really helpful. I've had to deal with those archives for the
> Rainbow stuff I do and have some additional caveats below I thought I'd
> share...
>
> Thanks for that information.
>
> Part of my motivation is that I mostly run Mac OS, and after that Linux --
> not DOS let alone Windows.  So I was hoping to find a Unix solution which
> is what I documented.

dosbox runs on macos :).

> Now I have two additional questions.
>
> 1. In the PRO177 collection (P/OS 3.2 base system) the image 177-20 which
> is the ProSetupV32 disk seems to be bad.  It converts fine, but the
> converted file is 160k, not 400k as it should be.  If I pad it out with
> zeroes it still doesn't work, even though the data at the start looks
> plausible.  Any advice?  Is there a good one somewhere?  Tim Shoppa's copy
> has the same issue.

The DEC Robin/VT180 had a format that was 160k long. It's 1 side, 40
tracks, 8 sectors. Though I can't imagine it being valid in context...

Have you tried the copies that are at
https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/vmslt02a/pro/ ?

tar tvf 177-20.lzh
-rw-rw-rw-  0 0      0      245921 Oct 22  1993 177-20.TD0

which suggests a 'normal' size to me...  Though I've not decoded it, and
it's possible the original was corrupt somehow...

> 2. The Xhomer P/OS image has Pro/DECnet installed, it seems, but it
> doesn't work.  I see the floppies (5 of them) but no information on how to
> use them.  Any information on Pro/DECnet install and setup anywhere?

pro175 Pro/DECnet came up in my searches. It's also there. There's a
pro175.txt that has:

Following is a list of the manuals you will receive when you
order Media Service Charge Code (EE):
 "PRO/DECnet User's Guide"
 "PRO/DECnet Problem Determination Guide"

Notes: This program is also included on DECUS No. VS0112.

Restrictions: A DECNA module is required to use the NET1 port on the
rear of the system unit.

Documentation available in hardcopy only. Sources not included.

though I wasn't able to find it in the usual places, nor by searching for
AA-V445A-TH which is the document ID number for the first one (I could just
find references to it).

Warner