DEDICATED HOBBYIST ALERT: IBM AS/400 9406-F2 for cheap sale in Germany

Patrik Schindler poc at pocnet.net
Tue Jan 5 17:10:56 CST 2021

Hello,

Am 05.01.2021 um 23:33 schrieb mazzinia--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>:

> The hard disks are factory initialized with a specific number of sectors...
> they are scsi, and you cannot use normal scsi disks there.

Yap. See here for details (and further reading).

https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/Ordinary_Harddisks_on_the_AS/400

> the only way to initialize them for an as/400 is with an ibm tool that has never been released.

Do you have experience with this? Because, you certainly can format a disk in the „BIOS“ (Dedicated Service Tools) of a machine. And I suppose that doing this is doing the right thing.

> and yes, you can otherwise use the small panel on the front to ipl it up, and shut it down

I know no safe way to initiate a proper shutdown from the panel. Do you have more information on that?

> You can add more twinax terminals ( the cables are included ), or connect to
> a twinax card in a pc ( isa/pci , depends what you find ) and ibm client
> access... or client access on lan.
> In any case you need that ( or a ) twinax terminal (emulator card works) for
> maintenance/admin duties

I guess it’s included, eventhough not mentioned in the text. And I fully agree, Console is important to have.

:wq! PoC