PDP-11/70 Boards

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:45:11 CST 2021

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 12:26 PM Rob Jarratt <robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hello Tony,
>
> > The power bricks draw very little current with no load on the output and 2.5A
> > would be fine to power one up.
>

> Are you saying that I can test them with no load? I thought they would need some load?

I'm pretty sure I've run them with no load and they have been fine.
Note that the regulation is not that good, the voltage may be a little
high with no load, and if you tweak it down with the preset you'll
have to turn it up again when you run the PDP11 off said bricks.

Also note that they are switching regulators. As a result, 2.5A input
current at say 20V would give a good few amps (10A if they were 100%
efficient, more like 8A in practice I would guess) at the output.

-tony