IBM 1620 Simulation

Ray Jewhurst raywjewhurst at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:14:41 CDT 2021

Hello all,
Long time lurker, extremely rare poster, I was reading the Wikipedia
article on the IBM 1620 and became quite intrigued.  I know that there is a
simulator for it on SimH but I have never ran or simulated any card-driven
machines before.  I have all the documentation and the ibm1620.zip file
from bitsavers but I am not sure what to do next.  I know I would like to
try Monitor, Fortran-II and possibly GOTRAN but I have so many questions.
I read the SimH documentation which gave me some understanding but I don't
know exactly how the card decks work, how to install Monitor or how to boot
Monitor once it is installed since I know you have to boot off a deck.  My
final question is, is there an easy to use card-driven machine to cut my
teeth on?  Also, any anecdotes on any of the old IBM computers would be
both welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ray